Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Two good looking guns. I would go for the smooth stocked one first, but that's just me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sure I'm the only one who doesn't know, but what is special about a 336D? I've seen references to this model, but never read what makes them so special/desirable, if they are particularly special/desirable. Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ed, they are limited to a thousand pieces forever.
As limited editions, they are inherently collectable from day one, though depending on what you pay for one, it may be awhile before you see profit if you are buying it as an investment.
I've got two of them, I paid $370 for one and $400 for t'other.
Ranger

·
Registered
479 Posts
They have straight, checkered stocks and 18.5" ported barrels in a caliber far tamer than the 45-70.
They are what is considered "Guide Guns", designed for scabbarding on horseback, and are quick to shoulder and aim and follow up with.
What really makes them special is that there are only 1000 made.
Just as an example, Marlin produced 2,441 of the 336ER in 356Winchester.
The last one that I saw sell at auction not quite 100% condition ended up selling for $1,800.
I guess it would be more valuable to a collector than a person who gets firearms to hunt with.
Ranger

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Was the 336D available with a non-checkered stock and forpiece? If so this is the first I have heard or seen of such. It looks really nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
336-D

The fellow selling the smooth stocked 336-D sold a Marlin in .375 Winchester with what looked to be Guide Gun wood. The 375 sold the 35 Rem didn't. Is the wood from the 375 & 336-D interchangable? I don't think the 336-D was available smooth. Still a nice rifle for $425! Just my 2 cents!!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Guess I didn't read the entire caption that stated the conversion from checkered to smooth wood. Sorry for the usless post.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Thought I'd bring this one back to the top... I was amazed that the smooth wood rifle brought $380. It's a good looking rifle but the lack of an original appearance had me wondering what it would bring. The original 336D brought only a few more $$$.

It seems that the going price for a used 336D is in the $400 to $450 range until furhter notice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The last 336D I actually had my hands around was selling for $525 if I remember correctly. te owner of the store had bought it when they came out and it never sold. He was then closing his store and moving out of CA. He wouldn't take anythingless than what was on the tag because he figured he's had it so long he might as wel keep it rather than sell it for less than he wanted/paid.Had things been better I would have made a serious offer, but alas that's life. Would make a great rifle for my boy to grow into :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quit lamenting your not being able to get a hold of a Marlin 336D..I've tried to sell my new ones(had 6) on this site, over the $430 mark but less than the price Dave in LB has posted at $525.

I've always offered them first on this site or on Marlin talk, on a number of occassions But no one on this site or MT ever responded......... and my price HAS NEVER BEEN HIGHER THAN THE OTHER'S.....NEVER!

So I take them elsewhere and all but one are gone.

ya'll cry afterwards tho...

either shit of get off the pot!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Heck there is a 336D posted for sale in this section and you say you can't find one....you ain't looking.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Fair market value is from $350 to $425 for a like new, used. This price may include ammo and dies if the seller needs to sell. $500. To whatever the buyer is comfortable with for a NIB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts