Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello-have seen some new model 1895's 45-70's with half round and half octagon barrels and am wondering if there were any of the 336cb's or any other 336 with 24" barrels ever produced in this configuration, preferably ones in 30-30

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
The 45-70s you have been seeing are from back in the 90's I believe. Davidson's had a run of 5 special 1895's made for them and two of them had half octagon barrels. The only other one was produced in 1995 as a 100 year commemorative. They called it the Century Limited.

Anyway, to answer you question, no, there were no half octagons built on the 336 receiver in 30-30. There were only four models ever built with a full octagon barrel.

There were 30-30s built with half octagon barrels but you would have to go all the way back to the Model 1893.

-Bob

Reactions: HDStreet

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
The Marlin 336 Zane Grey Century 30-30 has a 22" tapered octagon barrel. They balance very well. There is one for sale in the trading post section here at MO.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Zane Grey rifles are very cool and are probably the best buy in an octagon. I think it's because of the tacky-looking medallion glued on the side of the receiver.

-Bob George

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Zane Grey rifles are very cool and are probably the best buy in an octagon. I think it's because of the tacky-looking medallion glued on the side of the receiver.

-Bob George
I have a new in the box Zane Grey that is one of my favorite safe queens. The "tacky" medallion isn't any different than those on the Century models. It's part of what makes the Zane Grey and is a tribute him marking his 100th birthday.

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Are you talking about the medallions in the stock? Those are nicely inlaid, not just epoxied on to the receiver. Just the special configuration of the rifle and the scroll "Zane Grey" on the barrel should have been enough. Sometimes less is more. :)

-Bob George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.