Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marlin 336CB in .30-30 price check.

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  pricedo 
#1 ·
I have the opportunity to pick up a 336CB in .30-30, Mfg 2000, for $860. Condition is excellent, less than a box of shells through it. No scratches/imperfections in the metal...just a couple tiny handling marks in the wood. No box. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me but thought I would get some opinions before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Tony

#4 ·
Mine cost $505 OTD new back in '04. It sat on the shelf of a small town hardware store for several years I have seen them sell for 3X that price. Buy it or pass the deal to another member here. The 336CB is one fine shooting stick. You'll not be disappointed

Papalote

#5 ·
$860 for a Marlin 336 30-30 levergun.......NOPE.........I'll go half of that maybe $550 tops for one in mint condition.

#11 ·
Reasonable price now days for it. They just quit making them and one for less than $1000 is rare now days.

I bought a 38-55 CB way back when they first came out, paid $400 for it, I was asked if I would be interested in a 30-30 CB and take the pair for $750 dumbest day of my life.

Then after shooting thousands of rounds through the CB I did sell it with components for many hundreds more than I had in it. The deal did include 200, 250gn Jacketed Stone Fence Devastators. That alone now days would cost you more then $130 from Barnes Bullets.

Get that CB and enjoy it, it will still sell for more than you pay for it 20 years from now.

#13 ·
You could buy it for that price and IMMEDIATELY turn it over for $1100 with not much problem. That's a steal nowadays. Oh, and I have been SORELY tempted on that Zane Gray...but I'd have to sell something. It's hard to do that!
I'll only pay only so much for what is at the end of the day a $400-class levergun in thutty-thutty even if it's a holy grail JM model.
Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Can get better guns for $400 less (like a BLR in 308 Win) than $1100 to do the same job.
Everybody to their own.
Enjoy!

#14 ·
Value is where you find it. Marlins in turd like condition are going for 500 bucks in my LGSs--if you can find them. Used up bolt rifles are going for far more than that. I have bought many different used Marlin models online between 400-700 bucks. They were all in better shape than what was in the local used gun racks. What you are willing to pay is going to be based upon your local market. Good luck!

#15 ·
What a person is willing to pay also depends on his options.
If the contemplated purchase will be the only gun in the cupboard then you're more at the mercy of market vagaries.
Although I recently downsized drastically I have 3 gun safes full of rifles & shotguns (Winchesters, Mirokus, Browning BLRs, Savages, Marlins, Remlins, you name it).
So unless I see a prospective gun purchase as realistic value for money it won't be happening even if the guns is a genuine {GASP/SWOON/FAINT} JM Marlin.
I'll be going hunting this fall even if I never buy another gun in my whole life.
Value IS in the eye of the beholder.
$650 tops on any 336 whether Marlin or Remlin.
The most I've paid for a legacy levergun is $750 for an immaculate pre 64 94 in 30-30.

#18 ·
I forgot about the Winnie Model 88 308 Win that I got for 800 bucks with scope--the rifle is in VG+ condition with an excellent period Redfield scope. So I guess I am with you price wise on Winnies as long as they are not top or angle eject. I had a post-64 Winnie Trapper 30-30 years ago. It was OK but I just couldn't warm up to the Winnie action and especially the receiver--it was a pain to clean and maintain. I got spoiled by Marlin leverguns.

#19 ·
For some post 64 Winnies ain't Winnies.
Any levergun with a pot metal receiver that won't take blue doesn't measure up to the name "Winchester" to me.
It's like some guys and their JMs who don't feel REPs are real Marlins.

** if you saw that pre 64!Winchester 94 you'd have no problem laying down $750.

#20 ·
To all unless you've picked up a 336CB in 30-30 and held it up off hand and seen how well that extra 4 inches of bbl let you hang that thing of beauty without weaving and bobbing all over the target.

Ya just won't understand a lot of it's value.

#21 ·
I'm a self admitted and unrepentant Remlin Gremlin so I'd just as soon find a Remlin with a good receiver and barrel and make a winter project out of it rather than fork out big bucks for a used JM.
Save for a few parts from Wild West Guns & Brownells most of the investment is my time which I have lots of in the winter.
I'll put the smoothness, workmanship and accuracy of any of the 3 (2 x 1895s + 1 x 336C) of my rehabilitated Remlins against any JM Marlin ever built.
I have more than average skill fixing, customizing & rebuilding/refurbishing guns.

#23 ·
I got lucky with my 308MX Remlin--no problems with it. I looked it over really well and gave it an old fashioned Army functions check before purchasing it. It has produced 4 DRT deer for me so far. It is just as good as my JM Marlins--in fact--it is the most accurate Marlin that I own.

#25 ·
Probably as a result of the brand new CN computer guided machining equipment in the new Ilion, NY plant.
The quality has definitely improved since production was moved from CT to the Ilion factory.
The rehabilitation of my Remlin 336C in 35 Rem was as simple as stripping the gun and cleaning, polishing the internals plus the transplant of a trigger happy kit from a Wild West Guns and a spring kit from Brownells.
The wood on the new Remlin 336C was pretty decent.
I was never impressed with factory Marlin triggers.
The trigger happy kit was a great improvement.
Another big factor is that I enjoy the work......sure beats doing crossword puzzles to kill time.
Keep the $1000 336 CBs ...........I'll buy a Remlin reject and turn it into a better-than-JM levergun for a lot less and have a whole bunch of fun and learn something doing it.
Signed,
Remlin Gremlin

#24 ·
to the Op,
If you are buying that 336 CB locally for that price, it is an even better deal. If you buy online, you have pay FFT transfer, shipping and insurance, plus you are trusting that it is in fact as represented. There are quite a few horror stories out there about online purchases. It seems most of the online prices for that model are slightly North of $1000, plus transfer, plus shipping, etc.
A persons personal bias really has no bearing on the current market conditions. Market conditions are what they are, not what someone thinks they should be. You are doing your homework by asking, do a little more, but my advice is not to let that CB go. You will certainly regret it.
I have a 336 CB in 30-30 and as Swanny say's it is a fine off hand shooting rifle, I use mine for the offhand metal silhouette matches out to 200 yds and shoot dingers off a set of of Winds shooting stix out to 600 yds. Buy it and don't look back!
Good luck,

Reactions: kennicka
#26 ·
I've often thought of making a 336CB in .32 Special AI with a tapered 26 inch octagon bbl.

The best of every world.

#27 ·
Don't think about it ....... do it.
Sounds like a winter project to me........perhaps a coupla winters.

#28 ·
In the DFW market, the rifle in question would be a steal.

Guns are worth what a buyer is willing to pay and what a seller is willing to take. .

What a gun cost new has nothing to do,with today's value. My 1963 issue Browning Pigeon Grade Superposed 20 ga originally sold for $325. I turned down $6500 from a dealer about ten years ago. (I took it in for a new pin inside the action). My heirs can sell or squabble over that one.

I have a minty Winchester Model 42 (.410) that sold for just over a hundred in the fifties. In that condition it is a $2000 shotgun today.

I have four Marlins that $1000 will not buy. A minty Octagon, a nice .219 Zipper, my first year .218 Bee, and a really nice 1967 Mountie that I bought NIB in about 1990. Admittedly, the Bees and Mounties go for a little less, just that mine are not for sale at any price - not yet anyway.

I have a really nice pre WWII .357 S & W that was bought by the State of Texas and issued to a Texas Ranger in 1940. I have provenance in the form of the original property inventory card (put in effect in 1947) showing who had it and when afterwards. Some serious collectors believe that one may be worth well over $5000. How did I get it? It was last issued to me. When the state sold the revolvers as surplus, the person it was last issued to was allowed to buy them for what the police supply house had offered in trade in value. Yes, my Model 28 S frame that I bought the same way is just as good, but worth a whole lot less.

Reactions: kennicka
#29 ·
This Texas gun auction is way too rich for the state of my finances. Think I'll drive home in my old beat up pick-up truck. :driver:
Could somebody help out an old 49er? :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.