Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my first new lever gun for some out of state hunts. I guess the main reason choosing a lever gun is the nostalgia factor but I'm also really interested in the performance of these new marlins and they seem just as capable as any bolt or single shot I've been looking at. I'm planning to hunt white tails, elk, maybe moose in the future or bear. My caliber choices have been between the tried-and-true 45/70, the .444 and Ive also been looking at the new .308 MX and .338 MX rounds. I'm sure all of those would handle anything in North America and Canada. I doubt Ill ever be shooting past 200 yds since I'm a bow hunter at heart and don't plan to go for goats any time soon.

Anyways, Other than the ol' winchester 94 I have zero experience with lever guns. Are there any differences other than caliber between Marlin's 336, 1984 and XLR series rifles? Is there any difference worth paying for when it comes to older marlins vs new marlins? I only am aware of the change to a remington manufacture plant in 2010 or so? Ive heard some people said the quality when down a little after that but I have no first hand experience with this.

Any tips, advice or pointers? I'm leaning in the direction of 20-22 in barrel, would be nice to have the 6 shot mag tube and a big loop for gloved hands. I think the 18 inch guide gun is a little too short for my taste; I'd like a few extra FPS with the 20 or 22 inch. As for blued vs stainless I'm not sure yet but I do think the black/grey laminate stock is beautiful!

I did handle a couple at the local gun shop yesterday. They had a used but not old 45/70 with I think a 22 in half-octagon barrel which was really nice for $730 and a couple brand new 45/70 a 20 in and an 18 in guide gun for $629 I think. I do say I liked the stock on the used the best, the new wood seemed a little cheap to me but not a huge deal. Are the half-octo barrels pretty rare? worth paying extra for? Any advantage with half-octo?

sorry for the long post, I appreciate any inside advice as you guys are much more informed than I! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I did handle a couple at the local gun shop yesterday. They had a used but not old 45/70 with I think a 22 in half-octagon barrel which was really nice for $730 and a couple brand new 45/70 a 20 in and an 18 in guide gun for $629 I think. I do say I liked the stock on the used the best, the new wood seemed a little cheap to me but not a huge deal. Are the half-octo barrels pretty rare? worth paying extra for? Any advantage with half-octo?

sorry for the long post, I appreciate any inside advice as you guys are much more informed than I! Thanks!
Welcome to MO. There is a section here dedicated to ranting against the new Remingtons. I would not take it all as gospel.

If you can get that half oct/half round at a good price and it is clean, I would go with that. They are rare. You will not go into many shops and see one on the shelf. The listed price is good, talk it down if you can. If this is your first Marlin then it should serve you well. Heck, I would get it for me just because it is a half and half!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Anything special about these half octo rifles or just "cool factor"? Are they really that rare?

Any tips/advice about old/used vs new marlins or pretty much all good guns? Nothing like pre vs post-64 winnys?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
1895GS... Leupold 2x7x33 scope... good sling... under 200 yds it'll do it all. :biggrin:

Bertha 2.JPG

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful gun bugsmasher! I like it! Where did you get the leather?

Reactions: Bugsmasher

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Troy- why do you say 1895, this is what I'm trying to figure out, what is the difference between 1895 and 336? Is it just caliber or what?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is it correct the 336 rifles are all 30-30, the 1895 is either 45/70, 444 or 450 marlin, and the XLR series has the .308 and .338 mx? I think I'm starting to get the idea haha

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Not quite. You got too many numbers in your head.

336 - Chambered in .219 Zipper, .30-30, .32 Special, (don't know if the .32-40 was a 336 chambering) .375 Winchester, that model is called the M375, .38-55 Cowboy model and a short run in .44 Magnum. Then there is the M444.

New 1895 is a modified 336 chambered in .45-70 and .450M.

The XLR is a finish and stock model (stainless, longer barrel and laminate stock).

MXs are the .308ME and the .338ME in blue with walnut.

There is more, but this is what was mentioned. I would still snatch up that half and half for the caliber, rarity and coolness factor.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Beautiful gun bugsmasher! I like it! Where did you get the leather?
Thanks 'cuda,

Took the plunge... bought a piece of leather and a few tools and made the cuff and sling myself. Got my ambition from "Lever" at www.levergunleather.com. He does some beautiful work.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my first new lever gun for some out of state hunts. I guess the main reason choosing a lever gun is the nostalgia factor but I'm also really interested in the performance of these new marlins and they seem just as capable as any bolt or single shot I've been looking at. I'm planning to hunt white tails, elk, maybe moose in the future or bear. My caliber choices have been between the tried-and-true 45/70, the .444 and Ive also been looking at the new .308 MX and .338 MX rounds. I'm sure all of those would handle anything in North America and Canada. I doubt Ill ever be shooting past 200 yds since I'm a bow hunter at heart and don't plan to go for goats any time soon.

Anyways, Other than the ol' winchester 94 I have zero experience with lever guns. Are there any differences other than caliber between Marlin's 336, 1984 and XLR series rifles? Is there any difference worth paying for when it comes to older marlins vs new marlins? I only am aware of the change to a remington manufacture plant in 2010 or so? Ive heard some people said the quality when down a little after that but I have no first hand experience with this.

Any tips, advice or pointers? I'm leaning in the direction of 20-22 in barrel, would be nice to have the 6 shot mag tube and a big loop for gloved hands. I think the 18 inch guide gun is a little too short for my taste; I'd like a few extra FPS with the 20 or 22 inch. As for blued vs stainless I'm not sure yet but I do think the black/grey laminate stock is beautiful!

I think it is all personal preference. I have quite a collection and seemed to always grab either my 1895abl or my 336xlr in 35 rem. I like the short carbines, but that XLR is so nice too! Choices choices!!
Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts