Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marlin 336 Ultra Youth Rifle!

25K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  28mtnfisher 
#1 ·
Alaska_Lanche and I each snagged Marlin 336Ys for hopes of a fairly light, short, fast handling truck gun.

We also spied that Ram-line makes a synthetic youth conversion kit for a 336 and we snagged a couple of those as well hoping to shed a few ounces in the process. With the condition of my Burris scope that had previously been on my hunting rifle, the durability of the synthetic stock set would be another plus.

We got the rifles and the first thing we thought was "HOLY WORST EVER EXECUTED GROTESQUE REAR CANKLE STOCK!" This thing is U-G-L-Y and I wasn't sad to see it go. The much slimmer grip was a welcome feeling for my teeny weeny hands as well...

Installing the rear stock was a no-brainer, and this was where all the weight savings came into play.

Marlin rear stock--21.9oz
Ram-line syn stock--12.4 oz

In addition to the weight savings, the OAL of the gun was shortened by 1", as was the LOP.

Stock 336Y OAL--34 3/4"
Ram-line Syn OAL--33 3/4"

Apparently the Ram-line kit makes your 336 into a 336 youth gun, not your 336Y into a 336UY, as the fore end stock was too long.

So we started a bit of stock work with a chop saw and a dremel (every ones favorite gunsmithing tool:) ).

Cut to length and after some more power tooling and hand sanding, this is what we came up with. (Pic of stock isnt 100% touched up)

See less See more
#3 ·
So after we were up until midnight doing this to Alaska_Lanches rifle, he left me to do mine on my own and I took a bit of a different route with what I'm going to try for optics.

I don't have rifle weights with the receiver length picatinny rail and red-dot, but I'm assuming a few ounces less...nothing real exciting...

#5 ·
My brother has shot his rifle (first one with the redfield), but I have not shot mine yet. Work calls and after two weeks on the job, I will have 3 weeks off and am planning on getting some good shooting done!

His results with a few factory loads put Hornadys leverrevolution ammo on the top through his chrony, but that was to be expected. Once our handloading operation is in full swing, I'm sure we will stretch the legs a bit on these 16" barrels...

#10 ·
Thanks!

I just bought one today, and I like the thought of the synthetics (plus, I too, have a Dremel!).

Is that a Burris Fast Fire II?

That looks awesome!

#11 ·
How much did you take off the front stock? Nice looking rifles!

#12 ·
I checked around and it looks like the synthetic stock ADDS 1" to the LOP.

The 336Y is a youth rifle with a 12.5" LOP from the factory.

The Ramline stocks are for a regular 336 - that's why the fore arm was too long.

I like the 12.5" LOP because it works good with heavy clothing and makes the rifle nice and short - it handles REALLY good in tight places.

Does it look like there is enough meat if I cut 1" off of the Ramline to add a grind to fit pad?

Thanks!

#15 ·
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I can't help myself. I found this on a google search. This is EXACTLY what I had in mind. If I am reading right, the rifle with the scope came in at just over 7 pounds. I see a Marlin 336Y ultralight in my future! I'm currently in the process of reducing the weight and length of all of my long guns. I have found that the pleasure of carrying a shorter, lighter rifle outweighs any loss in performance for me. I was considering either trading my 30A for a 336Y OR putting a champion synthetic stock on my 30A. After seeing this, why not do both? Throw a happy trigger and a big loop on it, and you have one heck of a woods rifle.

To the OP, are you still enjoying the rifle? How's the recoil? I never thought the 30-30 was much for recoil, but shaving over a pound off of the regular 336 has to add some to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.