Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I admit it.... I might have a 336 problem. :) a couple of weeks ago I picked up a 336RC, .30-30 made in 1954. I love it. So I was in the same shop today and they had a 336SC, I've always liked those.... This one is chambered for .32spl. I chewed on it for awhile, asked if they could put a patch down the bore and they did. Looked good. I went for it.
Looked up the serial number, made in 1951.
They hand out 15% off coupons with a gun purchase, so I ordered a set of dies.
Anyone else have one in 32spl? Anyone reload and or cast bullets for it?

Ive attached a pic of the rifle below.

Gun Shotgun Air gun Airsoft gun

·
Banned
619 Posts
My first centerfire fire was a 94 in .32 Winchester Special made in 1949. I still have it and it is one of my favorites. Much later I picked up another made in 1957, because starting in 1952 they were factory drill and tapped for receiver sights. Then I got a Marlin 36 in .32. My load for all of them is the 170 gr. Speer bullet and 36.0 gr. W748. Other loads have been faster, but this has been the most accurate and has a POI close to factory ammo.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
I agree--the buttstock is not original to the rifle. I have a '52 336SC in 35 Rem which doesn't have the grip cap. I think the grip cap was introduced around 1958 or so. That is a very nice rifle and SCs are very hard to find. I have a '49 336A 32 Win SPL and a '52 336RC 32 Win SPL--they shoot my jacketed reloads so well that I haven't tried hardcast in either yet.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice seasoned rifle.
The butt stock is not original to that rifle but it fits nicely.
Congrats.......shoot that old girl!

Thanks! I wish the Marlin owners Forum had a hot line I could send pics to the experts, right from the gun shop. I wish I'd known about the stock, I see it plain as day now... Would have given me a little leverage on the price. I might have paid too much... So it goes. Alas, it is a good fit and it seems like it will be ok. I'll shoot it asap and post the results.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
id love to see pictures of them if you have them.
Here you go. First is 336A 30-30 followed by 336SC in 35 caliber and 39A 22 caliber peanut model.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here you go. First is 336A 30-30 followed by 336SC in 35 caliber and 39A 22 caliber peanut model.

Nice rifles! Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.
My first Marlin and my first rifle ever was a 39A, made in 1956 or 58 I don't remember right now. I think I probably put 30,000 rounds through that little rifle as a kid. My father and my uncle shared an old 39 when they were growing up, that's how it all started. :)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
My Favorite caliber and gun!!!!!!:bandit:
I have a 49 SC 32spl that was yours!

Nice SC. Happy shootin! If you want original replacement stocks fer it, pm me. I have a couple sets for pre grip cap models.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Watched part of the video. I have shot a lot of cast out of a 30-30. 32 Special probably will shoot them as well, but the 30-30 is about the most idiot proof cast bullet shooter I have seen. While the main reason for the 30-30 continued use is as much manufacturing simplicity as anything. 30 cal barrels are pretty standard 321 barrels are pretty limited. Manufacturers will stay with what's more economical and let marketing take care of the differences.

You have a great 32 special. Ballard rifled and great for hunting and cast bullet shooting. Were I to own one I would have to take it hunting. I have a 35 I use on and off and it works well. Take it out and enjoy it. 32 Specials around here bring a couple hundred more than the 30-30's so I don't have one. One like yours would be a good one.

DEP

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.