Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a used 336 in 30/30 from a friend. I want to reload and I was just wondering which type of bullet would be work with my 336. I went to Missouribullet web site and they have a couple of variants for the lever guns. Can y'all recommend a powder type which works out good and any other brand of lead bullets?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
12,198 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to MO!

I've had pretty good luck with Kingstrider specials, aka my own plinking reloads ;D.

The Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF is one of my favorite molds and accurate in most rifles I've tried it in atop a modest dose of Unique.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the internet.

First we need to know which caliber you have, is it 30-30 or 35 Remington etc. etc?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. It's a 30/30. I am really excited :) Can't wait to make my own loads and go hunting ;) - Never shot a Lever.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Biogenic - Welcome to the site from west Texas.
I assume you are just beginning the task of reloading ammunition. If so, IMR 3031 is a good powder when used in moderate loads in a 30-30. If you reload for a handgun I would suggest Unique powder as it is useful in both your 30-30 and most handgun calibers.
If you do not have a reloading manual I find the old Lyman #45 to be very useful. You can usually find one on eBay. Only drawback is due to it's age many of the newer powders are not listed in it. Reading the reference chapters is well time spent. Good luck with your venture. Shenandoah

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have used Winchester 748 in my 30-30, mainly because I had a 8 lb cask of it. Performed well enough that I bought another cask. I have used it in the 30-30, 35 Remington, 308 Win, and 30.06 (usually the '06 gets IMR 4064). So far I have only loaded jacketed rounds. I intend to try cast boolits at some point soon.

Good luck and remember to start low and work up your loads.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have always had good luck with IMR 3031. My most accurate load was with Winchester 150gr power points loaded with that powder.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
H-4895 and either the 170 gr Remington Core-Lokt, or the 170 gr Speer FN. I'm not a fan of 150 gr bullets in the 30-30.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I've had consistently good results with IMR-3031, H335 and Ramshot TAC. I've had good results with the Winchester 150 gr JRFN PP (same bullet as is used in the Winchester gray box factory ammo), Sierra 125 gr JFN-HP, Hornady 170 gr JFN Interlock, and the Hornady 160 gr FTX (same bullet as is used in the trick LE factory ammo). I've also got a supply of Speer 150 gr and 130 gr JFNs, but I haven't done all that much with them, initial results also look good. I've also recently got me a lb of Reloader 15 to try out, but I haven't gotten around to it -- yet.

Ah -- I reread the initial post and see that you are interested in cast...

I've also played around with lower power cast loads using various pistol powders, as well as reduced charges of IMR-3031. Results are acceptable -- minute of tree rat head at 50-ish yards. Since I'm not set up to cast my own boolits (yet), I've been buying them. My best results so far have been with Hunters Supply's .311 165 gr lead flat nose:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=2046467736

It doesn't have a gas check so you can't hot rod it, but other than that it seems like a pretty good bullet.

I'd suggest taking a look at the reloading section of this site. Lots of good info!

BTW -- I saw an article on this a while back that went into the details and such, but I don't have a link to it right offhand. It turns out that if you are wanting to do light loads using cast bullets and pistol powders with velocities about 1300-1400 fps or less, you get your best results using flake powders. NOT ball powders. My own results have shown this to be true, I get better results with Bullseye and Unique than I get with ball powders like HP-38, HS-6 and H110. It matters, strange but true. If you want to go over that velocity range (1600+), you are better off doing reduced loads of rifle powders that are on the faster side. RL-7, IMR-3031, etc. It turns out to be a pretty good split. Light practice rounds/small game, use flake pistol powders. Hunting deer/hog sized game, use rifle powders.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
biogenic, welcome to MO, first of all. Good powders for the 30/30, IMR3031 is a standard all round powder. Hodgon's Varget is also another good powder to try. Now for the cast bullet department, first mike your bore to determine the exact diameter, Marlins tend to have a slightly oversized bore. Check with Ranch Dog on this forum, he is one of our sponsors as well, he can get oversized molds for you to cast with. Taek care, John.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have been shooting up some Lasercast 165's that I got cheap. With a min load of Trail Boss it is like shooting a .22 Mag. They are hard bullets with the base set up for a gas check. Since they have no gas check, they seat more like a boattail. Very easy to load.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts