Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some information on a marlin 336 chambered in 44Rem. magnum.It has a straight stock of high grade walnut and a round bolt.20 inch round brl and full length tube,with a sling stud on the brl band and on the buttstock,hooded ramp front sight and Lyman receiver sight.The rear sight slot has a filler.It is drilled for a scope mount.How much of this is origanal or add on? How rare is this peice?Does it have any collectors value?(90-95%)I am most greatfull for any information.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
My book says its a 336 "Marauder" & says they started making them in 63 but doesnt mention how long before it was dropped. It doesnt mention sling swivels & the reciever sights definately not origional. The front sight sounds right. It came drilled & tapped for both the reciever sight & scope mount. I'd say theyre somewhat rare, but I dont think they bring big dollars, although I'm no expert. Mt book says $250 for very good condition.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The Marauders are gaining as collectables. They were discontinued because of complaints with functioning of the .44 in a full length action, but I think this was exaggerated, as I have had more 1894's in that caliber brought to me for functioning problems. Granted there are more 1894's, but the Marauders I've handled all seemed to function fine.
I think you'll rarely see them go for as little as the Bluebook reccommends. They tend to get a good premium, if they're in the 90%+ range.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
496 Posts
OK guys time to wake up. Get the sleep out of your eyes. :D The Marauder's were chambered in .30-30 and 35 Remingtion. The question is about the Marlin 336 chambered in .44 Magnum.

I had one in my collection but sold it a couple of years ago. They were made for about 5 years in the later 1960's but were not 100% reliable in the feeding department. Remember that the 336 actions is designed for rifle length cartridges such as the .30-30. This caused Marlin to reintroduce the Model 1894 chambered in the .44 Magnum cartridge.

I sold mine for around $350 and it was in pretty nice shape. There are production figures available but I don't have my Marlin book available at the moment. They have become somewhat of a collector's item. I don't know the current value. Keep an eye out on the gun auction sites for pricing. Parley

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Parley,

I found that info in the 2004 standard catalog of Firearms & was suprised myself that they called it a Marauder because I always heard them refered to as 336's. The book calls it the 336 Marauder with a 20" microgroove barrel chambered for 44 Mag. & being introduced in 63.

I suppose they may be using the word "Marauder" as a descriptive term, but that wouldnt make sense to me as the only feature it shares with the Marauder is the straight grip stock.

My grandfather told me when I was a kid to "Read everything you can about everything that interests you, then try & find out how much of what you read is wrong before you look like an idiot." Sometimes thats not easy to do. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Leverdude

I have Ned's book also. I have found a few errors in it on the Marlin rifles. Especially the older ones. I mainly use it or a pricing guide. Parley

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Leverdude

I have Ned's book also. I have found a few errors in it on the Marlin rifles. Especially the older ones. I mainly use it as a pricing guide. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I think the confusion is in the similarities to the Marauder. Both were straight gripped models, in 20" carbine configuration. Until you check the caliber, they look a lot alike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts