Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I have two Marlin rifles. A 336 30-30 and a Golden 39-A .22 S.L./LR. that were my grandfather's beaver and squirrel guns. I've had them for about a year now and they both shoot really well. Since they've been field tested they've been pretty beat up. I've completely broken them down to clean, and while I'm in the process, I would like to restore them as much as I can. The stocks are original and I believe they're walnut. All of the metal is in good condition besides some scratches on the barrel of the .22 and on the 336 there is some rust on the barrel under the fore-guard (which I have liberally wiped down with cpl).

My first question is this, what is the best process to refinish the stock (sanding, chemical, both) and what sort of oil should I use after? I would prefer a hand rub. I've seen a few suggestions of tung oil or linseed oil, but I figured I'd ask for myself. Also is there any sort of clear coat I should use after it has dried?

Secondly, what should I do about the barrels? For the .22 a good re-bluing should do the job, its nothing serious, just normal wear and tear. On the 336 with some rust, would a refinish do the job or would I have to replace the barrel. At this point there is no major structural damage, but I would like to get these back into almost-prestine condition, even if they're going to get beat up on later. I'm going to buy some replacement parts for other problems, but as for the stocks and barrels what are your suggestions?

Thanks - James :)

·
Super Moderator
17,248 Posts
On The Top Of The Page, Click On Forum. Then Scroll Way Down The Page Until You Get To The gunsmithing Forum. A Wealth Of Info There. I'd Post You A Link, But Can't From My Phone.

Welcome From Alabama...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello James, and welcome to MO. Your best bet would be to visit the gun repair section here at Marlin owners. There are several subsections that contain
more info than you will need to get the job done. I bet the 336 barrel will cleanup just fine. Good luck with them.

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A big welcome from Georgia! If you want the oil finish look, I recommend Formby's Tung Oil. Six or seven coats rubbed in and the wood will have a nice satin finish. The satin sheen can be dulled down with 4/0 steel wool. The beauty of the Tung oil finish is scratches can be touched up quite easily.

Reactions: unclesarge58
1 - 5 of 5 Posts