Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I acquired an older 336, see http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...ix-complete-question-sling-mount-experts.html
Today, I finally had a chance to try out some different loads and see how it could do. I was surprised to get a 1" group. This is with a cheap Bushnell Banner scope.

I had other groups in the 2"-3" range with different loads, but this was the best. The cast bullet is from the LEE 170gr mold with a gas check and sized to .311".

All I can say is this Marlin exceeded my expectations of 3-4 MOA. Is this normal? These old leverguns remind me of bolt actions!
Anyhow, Marlin 336's are awesome! Glad to be part of the family.
Click on picture to make it bigger.

IMG_0385.JPG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most excellent there cpy911. Maybe you can work on that loading and get it down even tighter. Just me asking, but what powder were you using?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
my fav load is pretty close to that... 29gr with the 170;s ...most any case and WW primers...I usually buy once fired brass and sort by maker...but rifles are different and like different loads...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks, I'm trying to get as much data as I can on different loads. Knowing which different combinations work helps when the stuff I usually use hasn't been available for a while.
Guess we're all singing that tune. :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Many years ago, when I was a Winchester guy, I got a new 1894 Winchester in 30-30. When I acquired the gun, I went to Wallyworld and purchased the only 30-30 ammo that they had. It was Federal 150 gr. Hi-Shoks. I mounted a side mount scope on that old Winchester, and went to the range..........When all is said and done, I was getting less than 1" groups at 100 yds., with that old Winny and the Federal 150s, which goes to prove that one never knows what to expect from any given rifle with any given ammo. I walked many a mile with that old Winchester, and have many fond memories with that old rifle and that load. Now, my son has it, and I'm proud that he does

All this proves, is that one never knows what to expect from any given rifle. If it works, just go on about your business, and don't pay any mind to the nay-sayers, and one doesn't need a 300 Whatever Magnum to kill a deer......

To answer your question,.....I don't have any Marlin that will group larger than 2.5"s, and I have a bunch of them. They work, and I consider 2.5"s to be easily minute-of-deer at 100 yds.......

To make a long story short, I am quite happy with any Marlin that I own, and I'm subject to pulling any one of them out of the safe for my annual trip to Missouri for the big deer up there.....No problem what-so-ever with any one of them.....

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Much like the others have said, I bought my first not expecting much. I just liked the lever actions and hoped they would be accurate enough. As it turns out.... they are more than accurate enough...... all of them.

The ones that really surprised me are the GG configuration. Both my 1895 and 336D are damn near as accurate as any bolt rifle. Both hogs and deer HATE them:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments. I think anything around 2-3 MOA is plenty accurate for deer as these rifles were designed. I am not a bench rest or super accurate type of guy anyways. I was just trying to dial in a decent medium load for plinking with my cast loads for blowing up milk jugs and ringing gongs. I was surprised to get 1 MOA accuracy from an old rifle, especially a lever action rifle. Love it!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I think the notion that lever guns aren't accurate is a holdover from the days when gun writers and manufacturers commonly used the lever gun and old cartridges, especially the 30-30, as a whipping boy to sell their newer, faster blah, blah, blah miracle gun and cartridge. I don't see it as much these days, but it's still out there.

Personally, I prefer to keep it under my hat, so to speak, that lever guns in 30-03, 35 Remington and other traditional lever gun deer cartridges can be amazingly accurate, especially with the better quality factory ammunition that we are seeing, these days. Prices on used JM Marlins are bad enough they way it is. If word got out that I'm getting three fourth to one inch groups at 100 out of my long barreled 336A, hot barrel or cold, using Hornady LE 30-30 factory ammo, I might not be able to find another one so cheap. :)

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey 911,

Nice shooting, with a great rifle!

( many Marlins shoot better than one would "think") LOL!

Later, Mark

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
504 Posts
I finally sorted out the stringing issue in my 336. here are six groups, both rem and win 170-gr factory ammo, at 50 yds. should have shot at 100, but I was also doing load development on the top half of the target in a different rifle. these groups should be less than 2x as big had I shot at 100 yds, due to noticeable scope parallax.

5-shot groups, none over an inch. six of them.

I am quite pleased.

30 30 tgt may 24.jpg

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I rebuilt a 1971 "basket case" 30-30 last year and it has surprised my on many occasions by shooting sub inch groups with my handloads, be they jacketed or cast.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
cpy911, the outside of the Marlin may have been sad, but the guts seemed to be in great shape. The bore, chamber and crown are what are important to accuracy and I'd say those were in excellent shape on your Marlin. Enjoy that one and take pride in restoring it to it's proper glory in shooting. Take care, John.

Reactions: cpy911

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
That group is more like 3/4". Groups are measured from center to center of the furthest apart holes.

Good shooting indeed.

Mark.

Reactions: Brocky

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
You got yourself a shooter!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I put some calipers on the group and it comes in at about .8" center to center, so sub MOA on that group.
Could I do it all day long? Probably not, but this rifle is very capable. Keep in mind, it is a hunting rifle not a bench rest precision rifle costing much more. I maybe have about $350 into it including scope.

Yes, I think you are right.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
A good day at the range beats any thing I can think of.

Nice shooing.

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I finally sorted out the stringing issue in my 336. here are six groups, both rem and win 170-gr factory ammo, at 50 yds. should have shot at 100, but I was also doing load development on the top half of the target in a different rifle. these groups should be less than 2x as big had I shot at 100 yds, due to noticeable scope parallax.

5-shot groups, none over an inch. six of them.

I am quite pleased.

View attachment 105482
Wow! That's incredible! Now I really want to go shoot my 336 to see how it does! If it ever stops raining.....the club range is a mudhole when it's wet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts