Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Marlin 336ER chambered in .356 Win, first year production (1983).

It has a hairline crack on the forestock just forward of the receiver, which really isn't a problem. But I plan on removing the original fore and butt stock and replacing with an aftermarket.

Does anyone know if the RamLine 336 Trail Tech fits properly without adjustments? Is there any other stocks out there that I should look into?

Appreciate the assistance. :D

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
All the .356's that I've seen have the forarm cap. I think the Ramline is for the barrel band type of forarm. Dr. A is right they look cheap and don't fit very well. I had one on a brand W for a month and took it back off. HYDE

·
Registered
59 Posts
What ever you decide I would love to hear how it shoots and hunts, In fact if anyone has a 356win out there Id love to hear some hunting stories or just what thay think of there guns..... If it was me I'd call Marlin or have a custome one put on. Congradulations on you new gun!

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I bet Dr A would take it in a heart beat..... You really should contact Marlin and see about getting a Walnut stock for it. That gun deserves nothing but the best.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad I inquired! Never crossed my mind to call Marlin. I also found a gunstock carver who makes some great stocks out of walnut.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Wild West guns has some extras. I remember Coyote talking about it and getting one for his 375. Think he got it for 50$.

I have a Winchester 356. Would definitely prefer a Marlin, but I have to say it simply pole axed a bunny for me. Kills ***** pretty well also. :wink:

I would use a custom laminate for it. Thinking thats what I need for my 1895... :) They do add quite a bit of weight.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Dr. A, you know good and well that you will wind up getting a Marlin 356ER sooner or later. Why don't you go ahead, bite the bullet, get one and quit making excuses. Heck, your a doc, we all know you can afford it.

SS

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
You snooze, you loose, seems to be my saying this year... I am primarily a shooter, not a collecter, (although I'm collecting a bunch of shooters), and that Winnie is perfectly good for hunting. I am impatiently contemplating a hog hunt here. If Big Medicine would tempt me just a bit, we have a hog haven pretty close by. Thats what I really want to do.

As far as being a rich Dr., even if I was, I would have to live with myself. Ranch Dog put a scratch on his NIB ER the other day, and that would simply kill me. He claims now he can hunt with it, which of course is why he got it in the first place. My 94 BB is still prime condition, so unfortunately, it has not been hunted very hard. It is a beautiful gun, but I sure havn't babied it. I'm still trying to burn out the barrel... :)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I know, it's the prudence part that keeps a fellow in check. I passed up 3 ER's and a truck load (very small truck) of M375's before I found one of each I could buy with a clear concience.

I actually saw one like yours at a gunshow recently and contemplated buying it. Dang great looking rifle, smooth action and lifted itself to my shoulder. It even had a Leupold Vari X II 1-4 x20 on it with QD capabilities. The cost was about $700, which I figured wasn't bad but then I don't know that much about the value of any Winchester so I passed it up. Instead I bought 1000 rounds of .40 ammo for my Para Ord and Springfield XD. Much less expensive.

In all candor if I had the Winchester, I probably would be just fine with it, it just happens that I got lucky, I guess. I'm afraid to even take it to the range.

SS

G

·
I've got a 336ER and a Win94AE .in .356.

My big plan is to make them a team. When one goes hunting, they both go hunting.

The Marlin is set up for the 200gr, and the 94 will learn to digest the 250gr.

Or, since the Marlin is heavier, I might switch that around. We'll see.

Hogs beware.

:twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Dr. A said:
Ranch Dog put a scratch on his NIB ER the other day, and that would simply kill me. He claims now he can hunt with it, which of course is why he got it in the first place.
Yeap... told it the other night... "come on pig"... and took it bass fish'n with me just in case I saw a hog root'n around in the swamp. It seems to be happy with the rest of the guns now!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stock for .356

I have a Marlin 336ER .356 and it has a small chip on the buttstock top front corner missing. I called Marlin. There are no 336 stocks that will fit because of the barrel band. (Maybe the 30A, but who wants that). So they sent me the 1895. The buttstock went right on. The forearm needed some inletting around the cap. I did not want to mess it up, so I sent it back. I'll live with the chip.(The stock was $126 shipped) By the way the wood on the .336ER is excellent. I refinished mine, put a new pistol grip cap-no white spacer-, and a decelerator pad. The stock has very nice figure. I bought it 3 yrs ago and the stock was scratched; finish ugly and spacers yellowing. Now it looks great. Factory loads 2480 fps. Speer 180 gr 2577 fps(Reloads 2015) Groups 1.2" One day I will bite the bullet and have Wild West Guns make one of their Glacier Kote stocks, and Matte Chrome the metal and be done with it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mose, I'm not sure what the glacier stock is but I saw a thread, maybe on the big bore site where a guy used like a RhinoLining type product that you can brush on, on his wood to water proof it and it looked pretty good (in the picture anyway) Also Wild West Guns sends the guns out to be chrome mat finished (at least they did mine several years ago) so save your money and send it direct to someone in the lower 48 to do it. Bar Paw Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts