Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the forum and can't wait to meet some of you folks. I carried my 336 out to the deer stand for the fist time this weekend. It was a light drizzle and just overall pretty wet. The next morning there was quite a bit of surface rust on the rifle. It's my fault for not wiping it down, but I honestly did't think it would develop rust that quickly. I wiped most of it off with Ballistol, but you can still see a little on the barrel. Will a stiff nylon brush remove that? I don't want to remove any bluing because this a new rifle.
(Also, I did search the threads but didn't find a ton of info that didn't require steel wool.) That all being said, is there an ideal product to use to keep rust from developing again, or just keep it wiped down with Ballistol? Thanks y'all.

·
Super Moderator
32,767 Posts
Welcome to the forums from south Louisiana.

Different people and different methods. I use brass wool myself it will not hurt any bluing on rifle.

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
24,597 Posts
Hello and welcome!

There's different methods but the best advice on removing it it don't use
more scrubbing than needed. In other words, only use steel wool if you have to.
I like to try a wrag that has heavy fibers with WD40 and go from there.
For me, a wipe down with Marvel Oil lasts a long time and prevents rust
pretty good.
Rust will happen and surface rust is predictable, depending on the average
humidity where you live, and how relegiously you wipe your guns down.
Personally, in recent years, I have taken to Dura-Coating the rifles I hunt
with the most.

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
So the surface rust is apparently common and unavoidable if you're actually going to use the rifles?
Rust only happens if you fail to care for the firearm. Hunting in the rain then not drying the gun and wiping it down with oil afterwards is just asking for trouble. Personally I prefer stainless rifles for the wet stuff but I still care for my firearms after a day in the field. Even stainless can rust if allowed.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
^^^This & welcome to the forum.
Ed Harris came up with a homemade cleaner/ protectant that I use called Ed's Red. 1/3 each of kerosene, mineral spirits & automatic transmission fluid.
I give them a good wipe down in & out and don't have rust. Need to keep something in the pores of the steel to keep the water out.

·
Banned
2,359 Posts
WD 40 Long Term Protectant really works very well.I hunted while it was snowing this weekend and there is no rust on my rifle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rust only happens if you fail to care for the firearm. Hunting in the rain then not drying the gun and wiping it down with oil afterwards is just asking for trouble. Personally I prefer stainless rifles for the wet stuff but I still care for my firearms after a day in the field. Even stainless can rust if allowed.
^^^^THIS^^^^

I always wipe a gun down after a day in the field, before putting it back in its case.

If its cold out, remove the gun from the case when taking it inside ..... and after the gun warms up to room temperature, wipe it down again.

I have my fathers .308 rifle that he bought new in the mid 60's, he hunted every winter in Michigan with it and the blueing is as nice today as the day he bought it. Keep it oiled! :)

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
Welcome ! Warm it up, wipe it dry and the use a good gun oil protectant. Many choices work well. There was a guy on some forum( old age prevents me from remembering where) that tested many products on brake rotors exposed to the weather. The WD40 long term protectant did very well.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
If you are going to hunt with a Blue wood stocked rifle you need to prep the rifle. The wood will swell on you as they don't seal the areas that you don't see. I remove the stock and the fore arm wood and treat the underneath with a sealer (You will see that these areas have no finish). I do the same thing for the butt stock on the inletting areas. You can wipe down the blued metal with this preservative grease called "Rig Universal". This will help to stop the rust if the rifle gets wet but you still need to dry it out when you quit for the day.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Big 45 is an option for rust removal. It was designed by a gunsmith to be harder than rust but softer than bluing.

Search big45metalcleaner & you can check it out.

·
Premium Member
10,953 Posts
So the surface rust is apparently common and unavoidable if you're actually going to use the rifles?
NO!...............just wipe your rifle "wet" with Marvel Mystery Oil, or something similar...............Then wipe it dry to the touch with a soft cloth........Don't try to get ALL the oil off.

I've been doing this for decades, and never had a rust issue..............

I'm not a believer in the latest and greatest space age products.............

I clean all my field rifles this way before the season, and then afterwards.............

A bone dry firearm WILL rust.......even St Steel.......if you want to see how fast any dry rifle will rust, wipe it down with acetone, and wait 24 hours...........

Hey!..........Welcome to the forum............

Tom

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've used Break free for almost 40 years on all my firearms. Spent two summers in Misty Fiords National Monument in a tent with a wood-fire stove. No rust. I have lived in Southeast Alaska for about 30 years and still no rust. Hard to argue with success. Jim

PS. it is known to rain a little bit in Southeast Alaska. Depending on where you are from 110 to 350 inches per year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are going to hunt with a Blue wood stocked rifle you need to prep the rifle. The wood will swell on you as they don't seal the areas that you don't see. I remove the stock and the fore arm wood and treat the underneath with a sealer (You will see that these areas have no finish). I do the same thing for the butt stock on the inletting areas. You can wipe down the blued metal with this preservative grease called "Rig Universal". This will help to stop the rust if the rifle gets wet but you still need to dry it out when you quit for the day.
^^THIS

There are a lot of areas of the lever action that don't see the light of day, but moisture (and dirt, twigs, etc.) can get in there and cause rust in places you won't see. Taking the rifle apart and prepping these areas before the start of the season, and again to clean these areas at the end of the season, is important. Doing this, along with what others have said about wiping down the rifle after use with an oiled or waxed rag, will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Just a rag with Rem oil will remove light dust/rust. Anything that wont wipe off lightly 0000 steel wool dabbed with some Rem oil on it. Ive cleaned up some tough stuff. Ive used Hoppes #9 gun bore cleaner and 0000steel wool to clean stuff up too.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I know some would call me bongos but I wax my firearm before I take it out in the weather. I wipe it down with acetone and wax it with carnuba wax with the fore stock off. after waxing to a luster maybe twice I lightly oil it with a no scent oil. Never had a problem in Arkansas or Louisiana.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts