Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1967 vintage 336 .35 Remington in almost like new condition. As soon as I got it home, I zeroed the sights and I was soon hammering steel at 100 and 200 yards. I also shot a few at one steel target at 75 yards, big mistake, I was punching holes through the 1/4 steel target that I usually shoot with my 45-70's. I knew I could not shoot them with my FMJ .308's and .300WM, I never thought the .35 would punch through the steel. Now at 100 and 200, it will not. I have'nt tried the 45-70's that close maybe they can punch through too. Anyhow I'm really impressed with the .35Rem. Just thought I would share this. :D

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I will bet you had a great big smile all afternoon after doing that. The 35 is a great round and it will wack game animals the same way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was also impressed with the trajectory. Hitting the steel at 200 yards was no problem with iron sights. I am going to replace the original rear sight with either a Williams or Lyman peep sight. This will make it even nicer.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I knew for years I wanted a 35, and as soon as I found a deal on one, I snapped it up. The store clerk was actually apoligising because it wasn't a 30-30, and I let him believe it was an obscure, obsolete caliber until the price came down far enough, then I pounced.

Paper ballistics aren't very impressive, but what this caliber can do is awesome, as you've already seen. I'll never understand what makes the 35 so good, but maybe that's just one of the Mysteries of the Universe than man isn't meant to understand. All I know is that if I ever had to get rid of my Marlins, the 35 is the last to go!

Papajohn

·
Registered
244 Posts
My first Marlin .35 I bought from my Dad about 20 years ago. I used to set up concrete blocks at 100 yds and annihilate them with 200 gr ammo. It also took out some turtles in my neighbors pond that he wasn't fond of. Shooting down about 80 yards from the hillside it made an awesome splash and threw water 10 feet in the air when it hit the big snappers!
I foolishly traded it away and just a year ago found another one. This one is pre-safety and an absolute tack-driver! My first 3-shot group @ 100yds measured 1.5" with open sights. 2 of the shots were less than .25" on top of each other and the 3rd was to the right. I knew I had a keeper. My co-worker watched me shoot it and said "No use wasting any more ammo. I believe it's sighted in now!"
I hope to take a deer or hog with it this year. The .35 Rem is a great round for sure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My first deer I ever downed was with my newly obtained 336 in .35REM. I was 15 years old. That was 25 years ago. Every Whitetail and Mulie I have ever shot with a rifle has been with that same Marlin 336. I have NEVER hunted deer with any other rifle, nor do I plan to ever use a different one, come rifle season.

You can NOT judge it's abilities by it's ballistics on paper.

I will also go out on a limb and say this; I have ALWAYS hunted with the factory Remington 150 grain PSP Core-Lokt cartridges. Of the 60+ deer I have harvested with this combination, I have yet to recover a bullet. I have harvested deer as close as 10 yards and up to a verified 223 yards. All of the kills I have made, the bullet has passed thru completely. From 175 yards and below most of the exit wounds I have witnessed have been very large. Some the size of a tennis ball. I have heard so many say that this bullet does not expand as it should. But my real world experience tells me otherwise.

I keep my Marlin zeroed in at 150 yards. That basicly keeps me within a 6" circle from 10 yards out to about 210 yards. Some will say that the velocity and ft./pounds is to low for a 200+ yard shot with a .35REM. And I would agree to some it just might be. But I do know this, If I puncture the lungs of that wonderful creature we call the Whitetail deer, That baby is going down!

Know the limitations of your rifle and know your own abilities. Whichever is the lesser, is your limit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts