Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends. I just bought a 1977 336 and I am pretty excited. I have a newer 1895GS (that I bought new) so no issues there. Does anyone have any advice about these older rifles? My plan is watch a dozen YouTube videos and completely pull it apart and clean/inspect it. Are there any particular things to look for etc? I have 12 rifles in my safe but this is my first older investment purchase. Thanks in advance. If I don't reply right away please forgive, I travel for work.
Thanks all.
Shawn

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi Shawn....first ..welcome to the forum.Great to have you onboard ....that 35 rem is a beauty! Tip top shape.
I would just clean the bore...by ...open the lever half way....remove the lever screw....pull the lever down and out...then depress the hammer to the rear with your hammer extension and slide the bolt out completly. Now you need to pick the ejector out of the inside of the receiver..or jiggle the rifle with the cartridge opening facing down so the ejector can fall out. Now clean the bore from the breech direction. You can use Qtips or cleaning patches with alittle solvent to wipe down the inside of the receiver.

Maybe now you should just shoot and enjoy the rifle ? She probably does not need a full stripping....take her out and have your way with her !

If you want to do a complete dissasembly and cleaning....don't start until you have a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers....one bit size for each screw on your Beautiful UnMarred Screws. This is when alot of gun owners
Mess up their screw heads !

Look at utube videos for dissasembly of the 336. It is not hard but must be done slow and careful ......
Good Luck and happy shooting ! Got Ammo?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Shawn....first ..welcome to the forum.Great to have you onboard ....that 35 rem is a beauty! Tip top shape.
I would just clean the bore...by ...open the lever half way....remove the lever screw....pull the lever down and out...then depress the hammer to the rear with your hammer extension and slide the bolt out completly. Now you need to pick the ejector out of the inside of the receiver..or jiggle the rifle with the cartridge opening facing down so the ejector can fall out. Now clean the bore from the breech direction. You can use Qtips or cleaning patches with alittle solvent to wipe down the inside of the receiver.

Maybe now you should just shoot and enjoy the rifle ? She probably does not need a full stripping....take her out and have your way with her !

If you want to do a complete dissasembly and cleaning....don't start until you have a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers....one bit size for each screw on your Beautiful UnMarred Screws. This is when alot of gun owners
Mess up their screw heads !

Look at utube videos for dissasembly of the 336. It is not hard but must be done slow and careful ......
Good Luck and happy shooting ! Got Ammo?
Thank you for the post. I have heard "get good screwdrivers" a lot so I guess I will start there. Ammo? LOL. So, my dad is being very kind and sending me 4 or 5 boxes of Hornady FTXs. Or I would be buying them at $4+ a round right now. Good thing is, about 20 years ago my dad gave me his 350 Rem Mag. So I invested in a few hundred 200 grain Barnes TSX bullets and some brass for that. So that being said, I will more than likely use some of those bullets to hand load.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome from Upper Michigan.
That is very nice condition rifle, looks well cared for.
Like mentioned above get some good fitting screwdrivers to keep those screws looking good.
I had a couple of set of gun smith screwdrivers but treated myself to the Grace set made to fit Marlins and have been very happy with them.

REK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome from Upper Michigan.
That is very nice condition rifle, looks well cared for.
Like mentioned above get some good fitting screwdrivers to keep those screws looking good.
I had a couple of set of gun smith screwdrivers but treated myself to the Grace set made to fit Marlins and have been very happy with them.

REK
I am looking at those right now. Thanks!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good thing you handload. I have 3 different 336 in 35 rem now... and they all shoot
The 200 gr FTX very well. I have shoot 2 pigs recently with it...both thru the neck ..pass thru...dead.
PS.. love Merle's music ...poet of the common man !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good thing you handload. I have 3 different 336 in 35 rem now... and they all shoot
The 200 gr FTX very well. I have shoot 2 pigs recently with it...both thru the neck ..pass thru...dead.
PS.. love Merle's music ...poet of the common man !
Thanks Brother. I play guitar as well and cut my teeth on Haggard and Jones (as most of us have). Just love his music and his life story. I put a 295 lbs sow to sleep with my 350 Rem Mag a coupe years back and same thing, no steps, just dead. Also, busted a similar boar with my 1895 Guide in 45-70, but I felt the need for an older piece for my collection. Can't wait until Saturday!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts