Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy I'm new to the forum. Just pUrchased my first Marlin, its a 336 30-30 serial number indicates mfg of 1981, it has a circled JM stamp and made in New Haven Conn. It is in great condition, bought from original owner, less than 50 rounds fired through it..also have the original leather sling, and he had mounted a Tasco 3-9-40 scope. Paid $310 for the rifle which I thought was pretty fair. marlin2.jpg marlin1.jpg marlin3.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Very nice rifle congrats on picking it up!!! You got it at a great price!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the get back..I'm really excited, I get her out of jail in 10 days (CA). This is my first lever action rifle..heck it's my first ever rifle period! Not sure if I want to keep that scope on her. I'm not familiar with scopes but from what little I've read the Tasco is a decent scope..my first project will be to find a nice leather stock cover..not sure if that's the right terminology or not..I'm left handed so I want to find one with the bullet loops on the left side of stock, or now that i think about it may not use bullet loops at all.

·
Premium Member
15,433 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
A JM 336/30-30 for $310!
What a fantastic deal.
The Tasco should be OK on your rifle as 30-30 recoil is a non-event.
Tried a Tasco on a Guide Gun I like to push max bear loads (430 grain lead @ 1950 fps) out of and it didn't work out so good.
That rifle kicked like a friggin mule.
The sight picture disappeared before the tube mag was empty.
Dismounted the scope and when shook it sounded like a kids rattle from the loose parts inside it.
Won't try that again.
The Tasco should be OK with the 30-30.
The JM 336 alone is well worth $310.
The seller coulda got $450 for it easy.
Good find.
Congrats !

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Good deal, and welcome to MO's.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
That rifle would definitely be in my cabinet now if I'd seen it first.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Great Looking rifle - and at a GREAT Price!! Congrats on both scores!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice rifle at a great price! Welcome and enjoy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am very excited about this rifle..now need to pick up some ammo..any suggestions on bulk web sites? or do I go to Wally World and stand in line? I'd like to get some target rounds as well as hunting rounds.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Folsom.. welcome to MO... nice find on that 336.. I paid almost as much for one in half the shape.. without the scope or sling... if you are looking for a nice leather stock cover, PM 9mmfan hear on MO... he does very nice work... I have been reloading for about a year for my 30-30 so can't help you with availability of factory rounds... be careful, reloading is the second stage of Marlinitus!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma! Congrats, that's a nice looking rifle!

·
Registered
20,306 Posts
Congrats on a nice lookin' rifle and welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Ya done good! :congrats: Welcome to the forums! :tee:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Congrads on your first new Marlin (she's a beauty) and welcome to MO .I hope you understand,this is ONLY the start.Beware,you might be coming down with Marlinitis. This site is offers NO cures for this horrible aflection. In my case it only got worse and I love it !!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yes, a very nice start to your downward spiral. ah, I mean your road to "recovery".

1 - 20 of 47 Posts