Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've reloaded many years for my Marlin 336 30-30 (using IMR4064 but lately experimenting with BL-C(2)).

The last time at the range I occassionally had some trouble closing the handle/chamber on my reloaded ammo. I don't remember ever having that problem before. The natural motion I usually used occassionally left a small half inch gap between the handle and the stock. I was able to force it closed all the way but this concerned me.

I checked the case lengths when I got home and they are all within spec. The brass in question was older but nothing appeared out of order. I haven't changed the depth of resizing since I originally set the dies up.

What should I look for?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That 1/2" your talking about is like trying to chamber a fired case. sounds like sizing issue.(or overall length too long and your running the bullet into the rifling, or the neck is wrong) I full size my brass, then trim to 2.029. My finished rounds are 2.545, and they work good in 3-30-30`s I have. (I`m using 150gr. Hornady Interlocks). I drop a couple of every 20 rounds I load into that gauge.

From one of my books: when reloading for lever actions, reloading dies should be set to full length resize. Lever actions do not have the camming action of a bolt action to close on a oversized case and there fore require the cases to be sized to a greater degree for proper functioning.

Its the only rifle round I reload for, but thats all I got.
Text Font Paper
Calipers Measuring instrument Gauge Tool Watch

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did another round of reloads (more experimenting with BL-C(2)).

I checked the overall length of the cartridges which are 2.530. That's slightly more than the 2.520 that they are supposed to be for the 150gr round nose bullets but still less than the 2.550 which is the max cartridge length for 30-30.

I ran this batch through my rifle and they are exhibiting the same problem as described originally.

So it's not the overal cartridge length. And it's not the length of the cases which I checked earlier.

Next I'll increase the depth of case resizing. This time I'll test the rounds while reloading and see if deeper resizing solves this.

I didn't hear anyone suggesting that this might be a rifle failure, which was my biggest fear. Someone suggested that it might be a dirty bolt face but I clean my rifle after each visit to the range and I've never found so much as a spec of dirt on the bolt face.

(I don't have another 30-30 rifle and I don't have any factory ammo.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ipser,
Don't wait 'til you have loaded your resized cases, before trying them in your rifle. Instead, chamber them after sizing, by hand, one at a time 'til you're satisfied they fit OK. As an experiment, you could try chambering the fired cases Before sizing.
Good Luck
Yeah, I'm an idiot. Next time.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
jpser, try this and see what happens: Take a resized case without a primer, do not load powder, seat the particular bullet to the COL without applying a crimp. Chamber the round.

Look for the following:
1. Does the round chamber easily?
2. What is COL after chambering?

This test should tell you if COL is too long for the bullet that you are using and hitting the lands before the round is fully chambered. If you do not see a change in the COL, then you can rule that out. A slight change in bullet profile could cause your symptoms.

If the round still chambers with difficulty, try to chamber a factory round. If a factory round chambers properly then I would say that you have an issue in the resizing of your brass. It is possible that your locking ring on your die moved and needs to be readjusted or the die needs to be cleaned.

If a factory round does not chamber easily, then I would say to look at the gun itself. Inspect the chamber with a bore scope and see if there is any fouling or debris. If there is nothing obvious it may be time to visit your local gunsmith.

These tests should help you pinpoint where the problem lies.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Using my gauge, a fired case will not drop in flush, like a sized case does. That should be about what it should be like using the chamber for a gauge.
Close but wont fall in. Ive been waiting top hear back what the problem was, guess still waiting. Where are you located? I could mail you my sizing die to try, maybe your die is gone bad.
Brass Copper Metal

·
Registered
221 Posts
Will it chamber a factory round?

Reactions: Sambane
1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.