Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got busy at the reloading bench---had a small batch of Lee 155 2R that I had made (when?) sized, lubed, and gas checked. I checked the size diameter and was @.312. I had a bunch of cases almost ready mixed mfg but mostly WW. Set to work and made up five loads each with a surplus powder, 10B101 (lot # 91A-009) that I bought from Mr. Jeff Bartlett back about three years ago. It was used as the propellant for the .50 cal spotting round that worked on 105 mm artillery round. The stuff is good but you CANNOT compress it (weird nasty pressure spike) but it is about like something between Herco and Blue Dot. Good stuff for cast loads and according to posters on CastBoolits info--started around 14.0 gr and went up in 1/2 gr increments to 16.0. The Lee projectile is a spitzer so I chamber loaded only. My marlin 336 is 1970s and I put a small 4X fixed scope on it awhile back. The 14.0 shot right to cross hair point of aim @ 25 yds (the only range I had to work with for the time being). They all did OK but I got some dispersion as I worked up to 16.0. I reloaded five more @ 14.0, 15.0, and 16.0. The rounds were set to be just into the lands as the bolt locks. Everything looks good @ 15.0 (a quarter coin sized group) with the group opening up @ 16.0 just as it did the first test fires.

I will try to post the pictures. I want to chrono these and report back. Pressures were fine, easy extraction, and recoil was minimal. I shot the second tests in a indoor range and noticed that the stuff is pretty smokey (not noticeable when outside). Circle Shooting sport
Text Circle Font Shooting sport Ammunition
Text Circle Shooting sport Font Recreation
One of these days I'll learn how to get these positioned correctly.

JX

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks, looking good already. Been thinking about just that mold. You are paying attention to the loads and seating, good stuff.

I am still finding my way with my 336. One thing I did find was taking a long enough time between target strings to keep the bore cool paid huge gains in group accuracy and reduced the inexplicable fliers. I tended to get 'carried away' at the indoor range, where it's easy to whack out so many in quick succession the barrel gets toasty.

Tried 9.0 grains Trail Boss with other heads near that weight, incredibly accurate for near recoil-less paper punchin

Keep as posted on the chrono' reports.
GR

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glen,

Like most other reloaders---I am really hurting for commercial propellants. I do have quite a bit of this surplus 10B101 that really is good for cast as long as you know your stuff and are aware of it's shortcomings. I have wanted to really get with it on cast bullets in my 336 and have several molds to start using: Lyman 311041, some Lees @ 160 up to 200 gr and got me a Lyman 311467, which although it is too pointed for the tubular magazine, should be a real killer. Some of the posters don't give it the great review in 30-30 but I'm going to try it. I've got to get some spitzer and round nose bullet seating plugs. I cheated with the Lees--my RCBS is one of the "Cowboy" die sets and has a flat based seating plug for the 311041 and such. I very carefully started the Lees and seated them in three rotations while being very easy on the handle. Went with the advice of other experienced testers and did NOT use any dacron or other fillers in the case on top of the charge. Single round chambered only for safety. Good to go--I like it so far. Got to check them out @ 50/100 yds and see how they do @ 200 yd after that.

This propellant is really easy on the barrel--doesn't seem to warm it up too quick and since it was used in a "spotting round" for the arty, it is flash suppressed. This propellant performs best with a good crimp. The Lee 155 2Rs when seated to just off the lands (bolt closing fully), the caseneck is really supporting the bullet. I'm sure that helped on the accuracy. FWI, I checked the bullet hardness and got a BHN of around 14. I think I water quenched them out of the mold but cannot remember.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't given up---just can't get some range time worked in. I made some more of the Lee 155 2Rs but they aren't filling out like the "old" batch I started testing with. I found some more that I had squirreled away (miked @.312, gas checked, same) so I loaded three more groups size tests. The "sweet spot" seems to hover around 15.0 +/- so I made some @ 14.7, 15.0, and 15.3. I know it sounds kind of anal on my part and I know that this is not a match rifle but--these things sure do cluster in there nice and tight. Made up some of the Lyman 311467 and I can't get them to .312, more like .310. Probably because the mold won't go there. I am afraid that they will be too "undersized" for the microgroove barrel. I will try them out at the same time as I put these Lee downrange.

My Marlin was made for Montgomery Ward in 1969--"branded" a Western Field 740A-EMN. Mine has an inexpensive plastic recoil pad and I have seen pictures of others with the nicer recoil pads so I might give it a little face lift and redo the wood and replace the recoil pad/buttplate. This thing is a good shooter and really comes to life with Hornady Leverrevolution ammunition. Plans are to shoot these test loads (Lee 155s and Lyman 311467) and narrow the best load down and chrono these if I can get some outdoor range time. Pictures will be attached after the next session.

JX

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ahhh, another Westernfield rifleman!
I also have a 69 Westernfield 30-30. You say the but pad on yours is plastic? The one on mine is brown rubber. Had a 67 model Westernfield and it had a brick red colored one.

I might start casting bullets myself, due to the unavailability of jacketed rounds.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
IMR,

This pupstick (336) has been sitting ignored for too long. I have cast (pistols big and small, other rifles, and now shotgun slugs) but decided to get proficient with a LEVERGUN. I have read a lot on the other various forums and so called "experienced" reloaders about microgroove inaccuracy. I guess those people should talk to our Marlins.

I haven't been able to get range time at any other distance than the 25 yard but now I think I have this thing nailed down. The "sweet spot" is definitely around 15.0 gr of the 10B101 (lot # 91A-009). Now I am really glad that I bought this powder when it was available. I am set on primers and have some older cases (good shape) and bought a bunch of brand new WWs still in the sealed bag.

We (a partner who was shooting other stuff) made a quick session late Sunday night. We were hurrying our time due to fading light (facility has lighting but) that makes it difficult to get a good sight picture even @ 25 yds. I tested on both sides of 15.0 gr (14.7, 15.0, and 15.4). I'm going with 15.0 gr as the choice. Now here is the cool part--managed to put two rounds of the 15.0 over the chronograph before we lost our light (range stuff is fluorescent and chronograph does NOT like them, no readings). Round #1 @ 1955, round #2 @ 1940 fps! I did not think this stuff was going to clock over 1600 or so. Here are the pictures----

Cable Circle Art
Pen Ball pen Drawing Office supplies

So I need to make some more Lee 155 2Rs and get them to .312, gas check, and lube as before. I need to talk to RCBS for the spitzer seating plug to use instead of the flat Lyman 311041 style. Then I have an undisturbed tip, better BC, and try these at 100 and 200 yd. I have shot this same bullet in my SKS (many years ago with Reloader 7) and it will do it easy @ 200. But now is the time for the Marlin LEVERGUN to rule and it looks like it is going to do it with this powder. I've got some other Lees (and Lymans) to try but this particular one looks good. Thank you, Mr. C. E. Harris, for your design of this mold.

JX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.