Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 336 down to clean and oil it, put it back together cocked it with the lever and uncocked it several times set it down to tend to some other choirs returned and went to cock it again and the finger lever only opens 1/4 inch. Will not open or cock. Was working fine before. Any ideas.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
When my 336 does that very thing, it means I was not careful enough in seating the ejector and it fell down into the trigger plate or action area and worked itself where it is jamming the action.

When that happens, I usually have to remove the trigger plate to get the ejector out. Sometimes I can just remove the lever if it move far enough. I've been lucky that I haven't mangled the ejector, so far. (Yes, it's happened more than once...)

Also, my 336M used to have a strange quirk where the lever hook would catch and not disengage the bolt locking block. The lever would open just a bit and could not be moved further other than closed again. I had to close the lever and turn the rifle on it's axis (not the Savage kind) until it freed itself. A good filing on the lever took care of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again for your help. First off, the 4 dummy screws on top of receiver were against the bolt and second, carrier screw was loose, letting the carrier move into the path of finger lever, causing the main jam.
I will file your post for future reference. Best to you and yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts