Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guy have a Marlin 322 ,in 222 Rem??
I have one that I picked up about two years ago ,
Sweet rifle.real nice trigger
Rumors are that you can burn the rifling out if you shoot them a lot.
Is this true??
I put a old Weaver K 10 on it with the stock rings ,,it's a little snug to the barrel.
It's the second one up.between the Marlin shot gun and the model 62.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
From what I understand, the shallow micro-groove can't purchase the faster bullets, so the bullet goes straight across the lands until it finally starts to spin. The bullet(s) gradually wear the lands smooth starting at the breach. I don't know much about the 322, but my neighbor has a 455 that he had rebarreled. It killed the collector value, but it is an amazing rifle-smooth, accurate, rare, and it's a marlin! His is a 30/06 that was his fathers. He swears it has less than 300 rounds down the original barrel.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The rifle was made with a Sako L46 action. I have the Sako rifle. I've seen them a couple of times over the years but never shot one.
The .222 is a mild cartridge and doesn't have ALOT of speed and doesn't burn much powder. Sounds like the barrel wear would be just a rumor. IF the barrel does wear out rebore it to 6mm-.222 .

Hip

·
Banned
90 Posts
The 322 does have a poor history of the rifling not holding up, but Marlin improved the 322 by producing the "Varmint King" which does hold up to the high velocity ammo. They changed the barrel to a stainless steel, which I can attest has held up very well and is a tack driver of a rifle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.