Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a (like new) 30AS, in 30-30 today. It has a nice hardwood, checkered stock. The gun looks like it may have had a scope on it at one time but otherwise it is absolutely like new.

The serial number is 04xxxxxx, and according to some info I found tonight, it may have been made in 1996. Anyone shed some light on this?

Will post a photo when I get a chance.

Love the absence of swivel swings, and bulls eye insert in the stock. The checkering is really nice. The wood fits next to all metal with no gaps at all (unlike some current versions I have looked at).

Got it for $300 and was happy to pay it. Looks like this one will be a keeper and will sport on of my few remaining Clyde Ludwig's Cross-Bolt Safety Replacement Kit .

Thanks for any help,

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Photo's of my "new" 30AS

Just finished cleaning up my "new 30AS" manufactured in 1996 (thanks for the info T-Roy).

It really is a beauty and will be a keeper.So I decided to use up one of my remaining safety eliminators made by Clyde Ludwig.Everything seems fine, bore perfect, action crisp and positive acting, wood is great even though it is hardwood Birch instead of walnut.

Can't wait to hit the range.When I do, I will report back.

Trooper Joe

(Close up showing the safety elimator "screw"/plug (not really a screw but looks like one, really love these things).

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Great looking rifle, and a really great price! Good job! Now, have some fun shootin it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finished "dressing up" my 30AS. My first photo showed Clyde's safety eliminator (got 4 left and just received 10 more, Clyde says he is going to stop making these).

Installed a folding rear sight and a .600 XS white stripe post front sight. Just tapped them in, centered them by eye, and went to the range today.

First shot at about 30 yards was dead on center (can't see much farther than that with my wrinkled retina/getting that fixed soon I hope).

Love this gun and what little I shot it, it is really smoothing up. That white line front post is about the only way I can see with open sights at the present time.

Trooper Joe

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners Trooper Joe. That is a fine looking 30AS you have and you got it for a great price.

My 1999 JM 30AS is a twin to yours and it's my favorite 30-30. Since my eyes are a tad tired now for peeps I put a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32mm Dusk & Dawn scope using Weaver rail 63B mount with Weaver 1 inch low rings. Slams it to the barrel and the short compact scope doesn't impair the great handling of this Marlin.

Now what you need to do is post a range report telling us how yours shoots.

Below is a couple of pictures of mine. Just click to enlarge.

Jack

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.