Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a fairly beat up 30-30 in trade awhile back.

I've been going through a bit of a saga trying to sight it in ( requiring different front sight posts and so on), but I've noticed something peculiar.

It cycles we'll enough during dry fire. Sure getting the bolt over the hammer requires a little bit of umph, but no biggie. I picked it up for a beater/deer gun if I ever go hunting (and who doesn't want a 30-30?).

However, after firing it it's super hard to open the action; like I need two hands to crack it open. I checked the brass and there seems to be no indication of burrs or deformed cases, so I don't think the cases are getting stuck.

I just broke the rifle down and there doesn't seem to be any serious abnormality in the metal to my untrained eye.

I was thinking about taking a stab at polishing the internals and maybe the chamber, though I've never tried that before.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to agree. I was thinking of finding an appropriately sized brush and giving the chamber a hard scrub, of course, I, not sure what brush that would be :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Sounds like its having a hard time pulling the spent case from the chamber. If it cycling ok dry and hard after firing. Might be gummed up hot case making it sticky.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Not only a dirty chamber, but if the cases are not un-expanding to the chamber size, it will be hard to get them out, and will break the extractor

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Get You a Bore Light & Look at Dat Chamber.
Ifn it's Rough (Tool Marks) or Pitted -There's Your Problem.
If Not, Then It's Definitely Either a Headspace Problem or a Ringed Chamber.
My Advice is to Seek Out Help of a Gunsmith.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Also, You May Find that the PRVI Sticks More than the Rem.
IIRC They're Loaded to Higher Pressure & Velocity.
Noticed this in my Rem 700BDL .308.
So It Would Definitely Be Noticeable in a Lever Gun.
US58

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I may weigh in: The most favorable problem is that the throat area of you barrel/chamber has become fouled to the extent the carbon build-up is effecting extraction of the fired case. This is, hopefully, the problem.
Now let's tackle it: If possible find you a product called " Kroil ". If you cannot find Kroil you can use Hoppes #9 bore solvent. Soak several patches in the Kroil or Hoppes and apply to the chamber throat. Then leave a soaked patch in the chamber throat and walk away. Let the product do it's work. Next day remove the patch, the using a phospher-bronze chamber brush, soak the brush in Kroil or Hoppes and brush the throat several times. Clean the chamber and barrel as normal, then go to the range and test fire. Hopefully this will solve your problem. If not, no harm done, but it is worth a try.

Good Luck and best regards,

Sights

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Please keep us informed if you discover what the problem is/was.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I had a problem with one of my 336's being hard to cycle,I polished everything but the locking bolt,and of course that's where the problem was,before I did anything I watched numerous videos in guy disassembling there 336's,I wanted to see how easy it was for them to take out the locking bolt,theirs all came out and went back in very easy,my LB I had to almost force in and out the receiver so all I did was very lightly polish the "sides only of it" with a buffing wheel and fine polishing compound and the gun cycles smooth a butter now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.