Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting here so I will try to be succinct. I have a Marlin Glenfield Model 30a. I can only get the lever open about 1/2 inch. I know that the problem is that the lock bolt is not coming down when I try to open the lever so that bolt can back out. I have cleaned and polished the area a little to no avail. Any ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I discovered another item with this gun today. I can duplicate the problem by tightening the screw that holds the hammer in place. If I tighten the screw all the way i cannot open the bolt. If I loosen the screw even a 1/4 of a turn it cycles fine. Not sure what means just yet.

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey T,

Welcome to MO.

May be the "incorrect" screw?

Later, Mark

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the Welcome. I am currently looking into the problem with the screw. I will report back what I find out.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners! Yes, please let us know what you find out, puzzling. DP

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
First I've heard of that happening.

Most common reason for this to happen is if the trigger plate screws are reversed after disassembly.

The one on the bottom front is slightly longer than the one on the left side, if reversed they cause the lifter to lock against the screw stopping all movement.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Taiman, you've gotten good advise so far, Mark and Swany are knowledgeable on all things Marlin. Second, welcome to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. Take care, John.

·
Super Moderator
15,878 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A big welcome to you from Georgia! Sounds like screws got mixed up during a past reassembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts