Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks ago I picked up one of my grail guns, a Marlin 308SDT. This was from a special run by Marlin for Davidsons in 2009 and with only 251 produced is one of the scarcest of all the stainless Marlin lever actions. This is actually my second one but I sold the first gun a few years ago during residency when I needed the money. To be fair my original gun was never what I would call a good shooter but I missed it so much I figured I would try my luck again.

In addition to the gun, I bought several hundred pieces of once fired Hornady brass along with some RCBS dies, Hornady 160 grain FTX bullets, and a pound of Hodgdon LVR powder. Depending on how it shoots I may go back and get an 8 pound keg since my LGS has their reloading stuff on clearance for half price. Once I can get to the range I will update this thread but for now here are a couple of photos of the new gun along with my 336SDT.

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
Congrats, John. Looking forward to your range report.

Jack

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Several weeks ago I picked up one of my grail guns, a Marlin 308SDT. This was from a special run by Marlin for Davidsons in 2009 and with only 251 produced is one of the scarcest of all the stainless Marlin lever actions. This is actually my second one but I sold the first gun a few years ago during residency when I needed the money. To be fair my original gun was never what I would call a good shooter but I missed it so much I figured I would try my luck again.

In addition to the gun, I bought several hundred pieces of once fired Hornady brass along with some RCBS dies, Hornady 160 grain FTX bullets, and a pound of Hodgdon LVR powder. Depending on how it shoots I may go back and get an 8 pound keg since my LGS has their reloading stuff on clearance for half price. Once I can get to the range I will update this thread but for now here are a couple of photos of the new gun along with my 336SDT.

Very nice! Never have seen a 308SDT in person. I am not a big fan of FTX bullets since most of my hunting is done within 50-75 yards. The FTX have a tendency to fragment at closer distances. I shoot Sierra 170 gr Prohunters or some of JACKTWs bullets out of my 308MX. They will perform better on game at the ranges that I hunt at.

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
Congrats and looking forward to a range report. I have never been a fan of the laminate stock, but the more I see the better I like them.

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
Very nice! Never have seen a 308SDT in person. I am not a big fan of FTX bullets since most of my hunting is done within 50-75 yards. The FTX have a tendency to fragment at closer distances. I shoot Sierra 170 gr Prohunters or some of JACKTWs bullets out of my 308MX. They will perform better on game at the ranges that I hunt at.
I don’t mean to steal the thread but I have a 308MX shipping to me next week. I don’t reload yet and plan on shooting Hornady LEVERevolution. Which one should I go with, 140 Monoflex or the 160 FTX? Most of my shots will be under 100yards, may have an occasional 130 yard shot.

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
I don’t mean to steal the thread but I have a 308MX shipping to me next week. I don’t reload yet and plan on shooting Hornady LEVERevolution. Which one should I go with, 140 Monoflex or the 160 FTX? Most of my shots will be under 100yards, may have an occasional 130 yard shot.
I am not a big fan of the FTX--I wouldn't use them due to fragmentation that I experienced at close range. Others will tell you different.

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
JackTW released his bullets yet. We were promised Last YEAR....???
I talked to Jack last night and the launch for his bullets is coming soon. I will let Jack opine on this matter further---he is the bullet maker/owner and he should be the one to provide the pertinent info.

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
I talked to Jack last night and the launch for his bullets is coming soon. I will let Jack opine on this matter further---he is the bullet maker/owner and he should be the one to provide the pertinent info.

Thanks, Jay.

Goose, I was set to launch but had a bad mishap that caused a postponement. With the bullets design being for 308ME I wanted to maintain a high BC which in order to do so produced higher than normal pressures. Consequently, several production dies especially the point forming die needed to be redesigned to accommodate the increased pressures.

Even with the redesign, the heaviest of the three bullet weights was right at the peak pressure these dies will withstand. Although, they proved to work through a good number of runs so I thought I had the HP problems licked. Until I made a small run for a photo shoot for the website and while running the heaviest bullet, the production point forming die blew up. That demanded me to tweak the bullet design a tad to lesson the peak pressures. Couple the tweaks in design with waiting for the custom production die replacement, and consequent range testing of the tweaks made, it pushed the launch date.

In the interim, my computer took a major dump with all my data on board. **sigh** It's been a nightmare retrieving all the data and I still had some key data missing. Fortunately, Jay kept all my emails to him and sent them to me which has some of the missing data. THANK YOU JAY!

The good news is I'm wrapping up everything to launch. While these bullets are specifically designed for the 308ME, they're equally superb for 300SAV, 308WIN, and `06 as Jay can attest too. And we'll have BONDED bullets for the 308ME offered in three weights that increase the 308ME performance beyond that of 308FTX 160gr factory ammo.

How soon? I'm working to launch as fast a possible.

Jack

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Thanks, Jay.

Goose, I was set to launch but had a bad mishap that caused a postponement. With the bullets design being for 308ME I wanted to maintain a high BC which in order to do so produced higher than normal pressures. Consequently, several production dies especially the point forming die needed to be redesigned to accommodate the increased pressures.

Even with the redesign, the heaviest of the three bullet weights was right at the peak pressure these dies will withstand. Although, they proved to work through a good number of runs so I thought I had the HP problems licked. Until I made a small run for a photo shoot for the website and while running the heaviest bullet, the production point forming die blew up. That demanded me to tweak the bullet design a tad to lesson the peak pressures. Couple the tweaks in design with waiting for the custom production die replacement, and consequent range testing of the tweaks made, it pushed the launch date.

In the interim, my computer took a major dump with all my data on board. **sigh** It's been a nightmare retrieving all the data and I still had some key data missing. Fortunately, Jay kept all my emails to him and sent them to me which has some of the missing data. THANK YOU JAY!

The good news is I'm wrapping up everything to launch. While these bullets are specifically designed for the 308ME, they're equally superb for 300SAV, 308WIN, and `06 as Jay can attest too. And we'll have BONDED bullets for the 308ME offered in three weights that increase the 308ME performance beyond that of 308FTX 160gr factory ammo.

How soon? I'm working to launch as fast a possible.

Jack
Hot dam!!! Been looking very forward to this. Sooooo is your website up and running? Link? Or are you launching the site and bullets at the same time?

Hayden.

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
Hot dam!!! Been looking very forward to this. Sooooo is your website up and running? Link? Or are you launching the site and bullets at the same time?

Hayden.

Nicky, I appreciate your interest. I'm launching the site and bullets the same day. Soon.

Jack

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts

Hayden.
All good things come to those who wait! Jack is getting there--honest!

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
Jack won't! He and I have talked about this a few times--right, Jack? LOL!
I seem to recall a few mentions of such a notion in our conversations. :flute: :biggrin:

FWIW Jack's bullets are part of the reason I bought this gun. If you need someone here on the east coast to test them let me know :)
I thought you bought it because it's purdy. I sure would like to snag one at some point.

Will do, John. Jay has certainly sent a bunch of my bullets down range in his testing. LOL

Jack

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
FWIW Jack's bullets are part of the reason I bought this gun. If you need someone here on the east coast to test them let me know :)
First--get a 308MX or 308MXLR as well if you want to hunt out west and/or take full advantage of what Jacks bullets have to offer. These will work at all reasonable hunting ranges especially when going after game such as elk which could require a longer range shot.

·
Super Moderator
12,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got a good deal on a pair of used Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm scopes on another forum including one with a German #4 reticle. This was mounted using a Warne 1-piece base and Leupold low QRW rings and is the same setup I have on several other Marlins. I have taken the gun to the range several times and found it shoots better than my first one did. I may or may not use this for deer in the fall but regardless this one's a keeper!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.