Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of us went out for a long weekend and are wrapping up a successful hog hunt. The best part was that I was able to lend out the 30-30's to two that had never been hunting before and they both got hogs on top of it! The Marlin's were great for them and both picked up quickly at the range practice on Saturday. One of them used to shoot his dad's 30-30 back in the day and looked like he was in heaven walking around the woods with the iron-sighted lever gun. :)

That's it, all I got! Marlin 30-30's rock!

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Nice story....Nice rifles!

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you ever are hunting and run out of ammo you could take off the scope and beat em to dead. Just making a funny, nice looking Marlins and good job creating more pro gun people.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Great story MJ glad to here you had a successful hunt!!!Contrast on converting your two friends before you know it they will have their own Marlins wondering when they can go back and kill some more piggies!!!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
MJ, good job, you may have gotten us a couple of new MOs and gotten them into the shooting sports. Thanks again and keep us posted about the two newcomers, John.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a lot of guns and some it is hard to get a memorable hunting story with, as I like to do with each. They are the ones I lend out to get a story and a memory that goes with the gun. You are a good friend to those two fellas or gals. Thanks for the story

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
James, nice story about the hog hunt. Sure would like to shoot some of those critters. Our club had our wild game feed on 3-20-2011. One guy brought some wild hog ham. It was great! Minnesota is a bit too cold for hogs. Maybe you clould cross them with some sheep so they would have a wool coat for the Minnesota winters. ;D
How do you fix your wild hog, for the table? Got any good recipes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good job getting people interested in hunting, lol I am still waiting to get my first animal hunting. Hopefully Turkey season will be good to me in a couple of weeks. I just started hunting last deer season.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Way to go! Now all we need are some pictures of those hog kills!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cajun - I'm hoping they'll be MO's soon enough. I know one of them is already scouting for a 30-30 or another caliber lever gun!

Plumber - I google a lot or recipes. For the sausage, I scramble some eggs and let them warm up while I brown the ground sausage. Then I pour the scrambled eggs into the pan with the sausage and let it cook. Put it on a plate and add some fresh ground pepper and I'm in heaven. I'll often add onions, green peppers, spinach, basil, etc. from my garden to the eggs. For pork chops I'll do something like this: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/20/Grilled-Pork-Chops and for backstraps I marinate them in cheap vinagrette dressing and grill them as well. For shoulders/hams I think smoking is the best but I rarely have time to do it the right way. I'll sometimes use a recipie from Cooks Illustrated that is about 90% as good as smoking it for 12-15 hours. It basically starts off smoking the meat for 3-4 hours, then you wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and finish it in the oven. More often than not I just add similar ingredients as the pork chop recipie above and make a rub for the shoulder/ham, then put it in a slow-cooker croc-pot deal, add some water and a favorite BBQ sauce and let it go for about 10 hours.

six_gunz - I'll put a post up in the hawg section of mine. I don't think I have pics of the other guys and would want to ask them first.

THANKS EVERYONE!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts