Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
A single group does not define a rifle’s accuracy potential. The OP’s group is outstanding if it can be repeated. I have to LOL at folks who scoff at any group greater than one minute of angle with a deer rifle, it is so darn silly. Decades ago one moa was considered the minimum for shooting two pound prairie dogs, now some folks seem to think it is required to hit a 150# deer! Under field conditions it won’t matter. If repeatable the OP has a keeper, period.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm showing my age. 2" used to be the guideline for hunting rifles. As a old hunter from a state that did not allow rifles to hunt deer a lot were killed with shotguns and muzzies that did not shoot under 2" at 100'. Now varmit and target guys are a whole different deal. Just a few thoughts sitting here on a cold winter morning.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
A 2" group at 100 yards with iron sights is just about as good as it gets with that orange "dot" as your target, and with factory ammo. So I say, good shootin'.
Good shootin indeed. I'd love to be able to shoot a 2" group at 100 yds with iron sights on any given rifle or cartridge. I generally shoot 6 inch groups at that range...but to my credit I do so from a standing position, firing from the shoulder. I suppose I could do 2" groups if using a benchrest, but IMHO that is not realistic shooting. Where and when in the world of hunting or defense would a person be using a Caldwell Lead Sled???

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Also consider: WHAT is the Target when you are hunting? At my age, the only thing I hunt are Coyotes. If I see one that is within my distance range, it doesn't matter WHERE I hit it, as long as I have a clear Shot with a SAFE back drop. I have been hunting with a couple of 30-06 Mauser action rifles. I can kill a Coyote hitting it pretty much anywhere, even in the BUTT if its running away! We have open season on Coyotes in my home state, and those rascals deserve NO MERCY. I really don't care if they SUFFER.

Mike T.

Reactions: ballistics04
21 - 24 of 24 Posts