Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do not have a Pump Rifle in my Marlin Collection so I have this one on the way. Guy says the Bore has good rifling and is shiny yet. Only seen one pic of the rifling but it looks good. Hope it is OK. I have no idea on the value of these, so I just went with the flow of the Auction and got it for 580.00. High or low it does not matter as I wanted it.

I do not like buying Firearms alot on online auction. Got this on Gun Broker. But hope this turns out OK.. I think he will take it back if I am not happy. Says it functions as it should.

I think I found a place that has bullets and Brass. Have to get some dies too. Anyone know of the best place for reloading supplies for 25-20 please let me know.

Are the Lee dies a good set for loading for a Marlin 27S?

I will post a few pics when it gets here. I am also going to remove and tuck away the original sights and put my Hepburn sight on the rear and the front one will be a correct early Lyman 17 Globe I have here. Much better for my old eyes. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
28,691 Posts
I seen it also!

Myself would love to have a pump Marlin! Glad you got it!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Should be a fun rifle. 25-20 brass is often formed from 32-20 brass as its often hard to get. Those calibers are fun to shoot. Cast bullets are available to purchase.

DEP

·
Registered
754 Posts
Great find! .25-20 ammo is out there but pricey, but it's easier to bite the bullet and buy four box's and reload the brass. Forming cases is a PITA!! Lee dies work great, I have more Lee stuff than anything else.

That's a great looking little rifle!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be reloading for sure. I did find brass and bullets. 26.00 shipped for 200 bullets. That was not to bad. But the 25-20 Brass I found is 36.00 per 100 plus shipping. Seems almost everyone but one place is out of the Brass. Now I need some dies. May try the Lee dies unless someone comes forward with a reason not to buy those.

Reloading the initial will be a little more costly. But after the initial 100 the price gets cheaper,LOL

I was actually a little surprised I did not get atleast one bidder come in at the end and get it. My max bid held for 4 days I think. That was kinda weird. That does not usually happen to me. Was surprised I got the email saying I actually won for once. I lose the auctions the other 99% of the time. But I usually just bid ridiculously low to see what stuff goes for? This I actually wanted.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a little reading and seems people like the Lee 3 Die set. So I bought those. I just need to figure out a good powder and charge. I will only be plinking for fun. No Hunting. No hot rodding necessary. Just a nice economical light accurate load that will be easy on the Rifle is all I need. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I have a 32-20 and don't load it up very much. About 13-1400 fps, mostly for trajectory for longer shots. The 25-20 was factory loaded to higher velocities. These cartridges are fun to shoot but, like my 32-20 really have limited practical use. They had their beginnings when 22 rim fires were not very well developed.

DEP

·
Registered
688 Posts
I bought some Winchester 25-20 brass from Duck Creek Sporting Goods a few weeks ago for $18 for 50. They show as out of stock right now, I'm not sure if you could back order them. Might be worth a call. I use the Lee dies to load for my Savage 23 B and they work fine. Be sure to get the Factory Crimp die. Good luck, your Marlin looks great.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Excellent! Nice looking rifle and I will admit that I have a tad bit of envy - I really like pump rifles and having recently acquired a 25-20 single shot, I really like the cartridge. Brass can be found reasonably if you look for it.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Careful, a Marlin 25-20 can develope an insatiable appetite for ammo. I had to buy a progressive press just to keep up with my 1894 (aka Sweetie). She loves 5.5gr of 2400 with some 86gr cast. I think you're in for a real treat.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my Brass today. Looks good for 18 Bucks per 50. Hopefully my Dies and Bullets arrive tomorrow. So I can have em loaded up before the actual Rifle arrives. Sure hope the Rifle itself does not have any unseen problems. Was claimed it functions and operates as it should.

I also think I will enjoy this little round. Cool little Bugger.

My loading will be with a lowly single stage. I kinda like making rounds with a single stage. Gives me something to do,LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes sir they are addicting. Like shooting a 22 Mag on steroids. Don't load less than 1 box of ammo. It will disappear quickly. That I would consider a good price from what I could see.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
That is a loading I found also for Unique. Glad I can use Unique I have it here for loading my 38-55 already.

Thanks
I am using up some 1680 in my 32-20 because I really have no further use for the stuff. Unique would be my first choice but the cartridge is really not that selective. I would guess the 25-20 to be the same. They have been called to big for rabbits and too small for deer which in a way does sum them up. That's why they are obsolete, but they are fun.

DEP

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As of all my orders coming in. I have 200 pieces of brass and 200 bullets is all. I need to find another source for bullets as the place I bought the 200 from only had those 200. Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’ve had my M1894CL for over 25 years, I really like the .25-20 cartridge. Using the old Speer 75-grain FN loaded to 1400 fps it killed rabbits and grouse very well for me, regardless of other opinions. “Too light for deer”? Probably, but the Speer bullet holds together well and at 1700 fps would have killed well with decent shot placement.

Today I use the Hornady 60-grain FN and a 90-grain LBT Cast bullet for most shooting. Powders include AA1680 and AA-5. No reason Unique wouldn’t work, all I’ve tried close to that is Universal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve had my M1894CL for over 25 years, I really like the .25-20 cartridge. Using the old Speer 75-grain FN loaded to 1400 fps it killed rabbits and grouse very well for me, regardless of other opinions. “Too light for deer”? Probably, but the Speer bullet holds together well and at 1700 fps would have killed well with decent shot placement.

Today I use the Hornady 60-grain FN and a 90-grain LBT Cast bullet for most shooting. Powders include AA1680 and AA-5. No reason Unique wouldn’t work, all I’ve tried close to that is Universal.

I hate this change stuff, just as well get that out of the way first,LOL

Anyway got the 27s picked up at my Buddys FFL. I am absolutely thrilled so far, Only ran some dummy rounds so far to function check. But all went well. I will load some rounds tomorrow and shoot her. The Bore is way better than even described. It is very nice. Chamber is very nice too. Going to be a excellent shooter I believe. Here is a pic with my Hepburn mounted and my early Lyman 17 front Globe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts