Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got out to the range yesterday with the 25MN and was pleasantly surprised. Picked up this little gem awhile back but had never shot it after getting it cleaned up etc. I wasnt expecting much but the accuracy of this thing blew me away. Used CCI V-max 30 grain and was consistanly getting dime sized groups at 50 yards. I am loving this thing!! I am not the best from a bench as far as consistency so I was shocked. I would love to upgrade the stock now to a thumbhole style......the original stock is not the prettiest for sure. Been doing a lot of research only to get totally confused as far as compatibilty etc. Boyds wasn't much help as they directed me to a gunsmith. Thanks a lot! Anyone know for SURE what stocks might work? I am capable of doing some inlet work if needed but prefer to get my order correct the first time!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Since you're the crafty type, look up Boyd's XT 22 mag rifle. Seems they've dropped the box magnums totally. They list the thumb hole for the XT mag, but it's for tubers only. No biggie to plug the front of the stock and route out the box slot, you already have the metal for the conversion. Another option is finding the factory 782 or 882 walnut takeoffs. I found a $55 walnut 782 stock on ebay for my ugly orange birch stocked 925M. My three Marlin mags are hunters and not target bench guns, so I found better accuracy with the 45 and 50 gr bullets. I'm too thrifty to sit at the bench and burn thru a couple of $12 to $15 boxes of ammo.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Y'all stop making me regret selling my 25MN.....wait, I got $350 for it. Maybe I should get another.

Thumbhole stocks are the quickest way to make a gun look goofy in my opinion but to each his own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GG...like you said "to each his own" I just happen to really like the feel of the thumbholers.....but I am certainly not locked into it.....especially if I can't find one that works. The 25MN just has a "small" feel to it and after finally shooting it, it deserves a new stock....of some kind. Maybe something with a beefier feel? And yes, you should get another. Sad to see that (GONE) after it in your list!!!:frown: Sounds like you got a good price for it though...nice job! Maybe I got lucky....but mine is sure a shooter! Up until now, my 17 was about my most accurate gun but the MN gives it some stiff competetion at 50 yds.

·
Registered
854 Posts
$350 ? PT Barnum was correct.
Last year I was on eBay and found a NOS Marlin 25MN bolt starting at $10 and won as the only bidder. Can never have too many spare bolts. With planets aligned, the very next month, GunBroker's parts was selling a 25MN missing the bolt. For less than $70 total, I've got a cheap great shooter as rogue vermin truck protection.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
$350 ? PT Barnum was correct.
Last year I was on eBay and found a NOS Marlin 25MN bolt starting at $10 and won as the only bidder. Can never have too many spare bolts. With planets aligned, the very next month, GunBroker's parts was selling a 25MN missing the bolt. For less than $70 total, I've got a cheap great shooter as rogue vermin truck protection.
Yep $350 but....

It was a 1996 in pristine 99% used condition and had three 7-round mags and a real Marlin 10-round (that holds 12) magazine too. It alone is worth $50. Mine had perfect press checkering and no blemishes and included a scope and rings plus a sling. I put one box of ammo with it and .22WMR was selling retail for $18 per box at the time. It was an easy decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.