Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I bought a Marlin 25 off of gun broker.

Pictures on the ad were great looking - rifle looked to be in great shape.

Last night I went to my FFL to pick up the gun, grabbed the firearm and went to open the bolt. The Bolt handle fell off. It looks like someone had, at some point, tried to fix this before.

Either way, my steps are going to be - contact the seller and ask for them to fix this and/or return the firearm. If that doesn't going anywhere, Try to fix it/find a new bolt assembly (Out of stock on Numrich right now).

So my question is - has anyone had this happen, and have you ever fixed it, and how?

Thanks!
Hand Automotive lighting Finger Bicycle part Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
35,978 Posts
Well! I would contact seller and ask for a refund on rifle! Your FFl dealer should have inspected rifle for you.
My two cents!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
75 Posts
That s a shame. I don't know why people just can't be open and truthful about what they are selling. Not being a gun smith I wonder if a small tack weld would be the way to go? I hope you get this worked out with the seller.

·
Registered
17,556 Posts
Call the seller. if for some reason it doesn't work, you can report him to gunbroker.com.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Silver solder will work well. I have '98 Mauser low bolt handles soldered on and they never break off.

The Marlin 25 is a great gun and if it were mine now I would not let it go back. I have two. Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
What ever you do good luck.
I would start the search for a gunsmith now in case that is what you decide. If I am remembering right you need more than a propane torch to solder it. It is more like brazing. I am not sure if one of the Mapp/Ox torches have enough heat either. Brownells sells several solders with different melting points. It may be worth checking with them.

·
Super Moderator
9,766 Posts
Silver solder will work well. I have '98 Mauser low bolt handles soldered on and they never break off.

The Marlin 25 is a great gun and if it were mine now I would not let it go back. I have two. Let us know what you do.
If you have a torch that can get hot enough with a real pencil flame you can silver solder that back on and it will be strong. Otherwise if you want a more permanent fix you have to TIG weld it so as to not over heat the bolt body. Make sure you use the right kind of silver solder:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Giving an update - I'm in the process of finding a replacement, or a gunsmith to work on this.

I called the seller, and they're willing to pay for whatever cost to repair/replace that piece. So at this point i'm looking for the most efficient option!

Thanks for all the direction, and i'll send a picture when i get it replaced/repaired!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts