Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done a group buy on 25-36 brass? I've been looking at midway and quality cartridge for a year,periodically checking in b/c I read somewhere that they make a batch (Quality Cart) once a year. I never see anything but "out of stock". Perhaps if a group buy was ordered Quality might make a batch?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey there A5 -- You might just consider making your own from 32-40 brass, which was the parent case for the 25-36Marlin. 25-35 Winchester brass is too short in my opinion.
Wind, I looked into that in the past.....seems like I got stymied even looking for 32-40 brass and the dies months ago when I first checked into it. Also I was unsure exactly which die to buy (my my they are pricey), Midway had several different dies. Having never formed cases the process seems to have a little mystery in my mind, which dies do you use? Any particular brand?

looked again at Midway....
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=12182

Eleven different choices and I'm not sure which exact ones I need, plus they are all special order or out of stock items. Any other options out there that you know of?

or here: http://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/caliber-list?filter-col=caliber&filter=25-36
get the two die PLUS the forming die?

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I made my 25-36 I started with 32-40 brass. Then ran them through 30-30 dies, then a 25 Remington from 30 rem forming die to get the neck sized down. then a 25-36 die mine are the RCBS special order ones took about 3 months to get here and were kind of pricey. the brass stretched some if I remember about .040 you will need to trim them. this is what worked for me. Good luck finding doner brass. I've had 32-40 on backorder for two years from Black Hills Shooter Supply. You can mabe neck down 30-30 in a pinch, but they will be short. WW

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
A5 -- I have both the Redding Die set as well as the CH4D set. I had to modify the Redding set extensively to work with 25-35 Winchester brass. Up to and including making a new seating stem. It was a waste of time. The 25-35 Winchester brass was just too short. So... Either of these two plus the RCBS set should play OK with 32-40 brass. The sizing die will form the necks on the 32-40 brass in one pass but reducing them first with a 30-30 sizer (partially) helps prevent a few compression cracks like this.

View attachment 114173

You will want to adjust the shoulder to closely approximate your chamber dimensions. Eventually the fire forming will produce the finished case, but you don't want "to much" forming to take place under pressure.

As with a lot of these obsolete calibers, components can be a challenge. For this caliber brass is just one of them. 25 caliber bullets is definitely another. Even mold makers that will produce a mold in 25 caliber are rare.

My rifle hates light bullets under 100 grains - at any speed. I have had success with bullets in the 115-120 grain range. I'm presently looking at a 135 grainer. Eventually when I figure out what I want, I'll get a mold made. I'm leaning towards it looking like this...

View attachment 114174

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Not having done this particular cartridge, but having played with a host of others, it's pretty amazing what can be accomplished with the "wrong dies", ie not the correctly labeled set of dies.

25-06's (when I couldn't get any) were made from 30-06 body sized in a 30-06 sizer and necked in a 257Roberts sizer. Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it did. The rifle wasn't mine, but I did the handloading for it nearly a year before coming West and it no longer was on my list of chores. Maybe some of the long Starline 38-55 brass might work, with the right massaging.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Just a note guys -- I have tried 38-55 Starline brass. It will work, but... That is a lot of scrunch and there was about a 50% failure rate. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
587 Posts
I tried 25-35 brass and had trouble with head space. ended up necking them up in a 270 die then sizing to head space off the shoulder instead of the rim. I gave up and used some 32-40 . I still had to size them to head space off the shoulder or the primers backed out about .010. WW

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
I don't think you can beat reformed cases from .32-40. That's what the specs call for. I've enjoyed using the R.C.B.S. reforming two die set. Then I run them through the R.C.B.S. .25-36 Marlin resizing die. To do this up right I've quit worrying about the cost !! I would be interested in a group buy from Quality Cartridge because it's always nice to have the head stamp correct as well but your dept of Homeland Security won't permit the export of empty brass across the 49th parallel so I guess I'll just stick with .32-40 cases. .38-55 and .30-30 are really too short.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Hey Wind,
You probably can eliminate the compression cracks by annealing the necks first then sizing with IMPERIAL SIZING DIE WAX.
I resize .357 mag. brass to .256 WM in one pass with no problem. I believe it is sold by Hornady and Redding also possibly by a different name. I've also used it on Nickle plated cases with good results.

Hip

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Hipshot -- Yes indeed! That will work. But work is the operative word here. I think looking to secure some 32-40 brass is the easier way out, and offers the overall best results. Even the custom brass that A5 originally asked about would be cool, but I've seen it from a dollar to three dollars a case, and that is a little rich for my blood. I had run down the "use 25-35 brass road" for a considerable period of time and gave up due to poor results.

Starline long (2.125") brass is not too short to convert to 25-36Marlin as a matter of fact!!

If that was all that I could do to get an old rifle up and running, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Best regards. Wind

1 - 12 of 12 Posts