Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
The value depends a lot on condition. One of the '94 CL models made in 1983-ish can easily bring $1200 now. Remington made a run of ammo a few years ago and sold 87 grain bullets for $85 per box of 50 -- 6 or 7 years ago. I stocked up when I could find them for my CL, plus I have all the reloading supplies I need. Brass is IMPOSSIBLE to find but you may find some old tarnished loaded ammo at gun shows. 32-20 brass is available thanks to Cowboy Action, and is the base case for the 25-20, but the little buggers are a pain to reform, even if new, and are expensive. You probably will ruin a fourth of them. I hunt groundhogs with mine--keep yours and enjoy it, the round is amazingly accurate.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
A couple and a half years ago I found a 25-20 1894cl for 550 at the LGS
Didn't know anything about the caliber, came home asked about it on the Marlin Forum, researched what I could then Ran in the next morning and bought it.
Spent more on money 300 rnds of ammo than the rifle cost over the next couple months, Then found a relatively close LGS with 32-20 brass.
Great with slow flat base cast lead, or faster coated or GC, Those 60grain Hornady.2200fps whahoo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an old Marlin 94 in 25-20, mine is a saddle ring carbine with serial 435xxx. Estimate it to be made pre WW1 (about 1912). Middle patent date year is 1889, not 1859. Serial number is also on the underside of the buttplate on mine.

P.S. Welcome to theforum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have an old Marlin 94 in 25-20, mine is a saddle ring carbine with serial 435xxx. Estimate it to be made pre WW1 (about 1912). Middle patent date year is 1889, not 1859. Serial number is also on the underside of the buttplate on mine.

P.S. Welcome to theforum
I going to look under the butt plate on my, thanks for the information..

·
Registered
7 Posts
About a month ago, there were 2 boxes of ammo in Ace Hardware, Harrison AR. Around $80 I think, but those are boxes of 50!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its a post 1906 rifle, probably in the 1910 -1913 range. The earlier patent date refers back to the model that the 1894 replaced - the 1889. The model should be on the upper tang, but if it has a tang sight it will cover that information.

When forming brass from 32-20 you have to make sure the neck it round before running it in the 25-20 die. I actually run mine over an expander plug (Lyman M die) but just start to bell. All you want is to get the neck round. I use Imperial die sizing wax and I lose very few if I'm careful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Its a post 1906 rifle, probably in the 1910 -1913 range. The earlier patent date refers back to the model that the 1894 replaced - the 1889. The model should be on the upper tang, but if it has a tang sight it will cover that information.

When forming brass from 32-20 you have to make sure the neck it round before running it in the 25-20 die. I actually run mine over an expander plug (Lyman M die) but just start to bell. All you want is to get the neck round. I use Imperial die sizing wax and I lose very few if I'm careful.
Thanks you

21 - 27 of 27 Posts