Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a Marlin 20A that looks to be in pretty good shape. I don't plan on shooting it much. However, my question is, Should I shoot it at all? - It's the only pump in group and I haven't seen too many around.

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
20A

Heck, I don't see why you shouldn't shoot it. :D Unless it's engraved with inlays, or something. Some of these will have a really sweet trigger! Just from curiousity, how many digits in the serial#? SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The 20-A pre-dates high velocity rimfire ammunition. The bolt was not made to handle the pressure generated by the high velocity round. If you must shoot it, use standard velocity, or slower cartridges. Some of the Marlin 20's were serialized under the wood of the buttstcok- this number can be found on the edge of the tang- usually the left tang below the wood line. The butt must be removed to expose this edge. The butt on my 20-S has the s/n in the wood that slides under the tang as well....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I shoot my 20a all the time, but as Doc mentioned, with target or standard velocity ammo. They're great little guns!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts