Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the 1941 DOM 1936 showed up at my FFL, and they noticed a crack in the receiver near the loading port. The gunshop i purchased it from has agreed to take it back. Very sad, I really liked that rifle.
Here's a pic of the crack. I'm VERY disappointed.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Bitter sweet loss. Sounds like you have an honorable gun shop seller. Too bad, the inside of the receiver looks almost unfired since the factory. AC

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, it certainly wasn't perfect, but the case hardening was still there and no rust on the receiver at all. Barrel was in decent shape, would have been a very nice piece. I would have been shooting it, but I don't like splits in the metal...it can only get worse. Hopefully I'll see another sometime.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Offer them pennies to keep the gun that would be useless.
Find a talented welder and fix the crack. Then machine and smith it back to a shooter.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Maybe an honest mistake by the seller? Maybe not?

Before we go giving the seller the thumbs up I will say this.

Sellers don't like bad ratings.

On Gunbroker you can leave comments up to a paragraph long!

I have bought guns with damage not shown in pictures or even told of in the description.

Think about it some would not even bid or would bid very low if the damage was known.

Once you have it the seller trys to tell you they never noticed and will give you a discount to make you happy.

Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not!

Sellers with good ratings will take back a gun even if it was no refunds no returns to avoid bad ratings and comments.

One of the rifles sent to me you would have been blind not to notice.

All the pics taken in such a way it was not shown or so far away you can't see it.

Far away fuzzy pictures I won't give a second look!

Lets face it. Sellers with hundreds or thousands of sales are gun guys.

Gun guys inspect for damage to figure the highest selling price for highest profit then take many pictures.

After all that he didn't notice?

You did.

Yes...It could have been an honest mistake.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a face to face sale in NJ, but the lighting isn't great in the gunshop, don't know how I didn't see that crack, but the guys at the shop didn't see it either. So they just said send it back up(I'm still in NJ so went back to the store I bought it at)and that if I'm not happy with it, they'd take it back. They do have other things there that I'd like, so I'll more than likely just roll the money over for something else since they are being very nice about it.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I couldn't walk away from it, i'd get this one repaired, but I have no idea the cost. If the gunshop wasn't going to take it back, then I would have considered getting it repaired. but, fixing the receiver, new case hardening. Replace the front sight...adds up quick.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Offer them pennies to keep the gun that would be useless.
Find a talented welder and fix the crack. Then machine and smith it back to a shooter.
If they gave it to him for free it would still not be a money maker. The cost of having the crack repaired by someone good who could TIG weld it. Then the metal needing to be reworked, and finally casehardened to return the finish. The cost could easily hit $500-$700, and then it would be a refinished gun, not original.
My choice would be to keep it if I could get it extremely cheap, and just leave it alone. Odds are the crack will never open up, as pressures are directly back, not vertical. I wouldn't even be afraid to shoot it with plinker cast lead loads occasionally. But if it was purchased to be a shooter, then I'd pass and let them keep it.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't buy rifles if I don't intend to shoot them...which was the main reason for returning it. It sucks, cuz I really liked that rifle...but maybe next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts