Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a 1897 made in 1901 that has a shiny bore, lots of patina, traces of case colors..and is a tack driver. Someone spilled green paint on the stock..but the wood is in pretty good shape..no splits or cracks.

I have been pricing Marlin .22's and they are expensive :-\ this might be a good deal for me. :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. If the gun is fuctional I would buy it. Good luck.
Dave

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'd jump on it. A little mineral spirits will probably get rid of the paint, and clean up the old oil finish as well. A good paste wax will bring the finish back after cleaning. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Radar 1 said:
I'd jump on it. A little mineral spirits will probably get rid of the paint, and clean up the old oil finish as well. A good paste wax will bring the finish back after cleaning. Best of luck!
+1 :D

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It says Marlin Safety on the top of the receiver and has a octagon barrel..is it a cowboy? Or would it say cowboy on it?

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
They didn't use the "Cowboy" designation back then - that comes from a modern model introduced in 1999. What you are looking at is the original model 1897, which preceeded the model 39 introduced in 1922. That is a good price if all is functional and as described!

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Thats a good find and ai would buy it. 8) 8) 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts