Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's real! Photos added!!!

The clamor of silence here is astounding! :)
The rifle is REAL! Perhaps a few pix ... Kindly note the absence of cross-bolt safety. Serial prefix of "18" indicating MFG 1982. Yet looking for production years.
Does any of this help???

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
Well you must have stumped the pannel :)

I am no help... as long as mine are shooting, I just keep feeding them.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I'll take a stab and say 1980 - 83 , before the cross bolt safety in 1984.:hmmmm:

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
They had Ballard rifling for a short time maybe up to 1972. Switched to micro groove and made that model till around 1983 when they started Crossbolt installation. Are you thinking you have a limited run gun or something?

·
Premium Member
12,098 Posts
iskra,

The 1st 1895 was released in about 1971 as a Model 1895............or 1895T.....I don't really recall.

It had a straight stock, a banded Mag Tube and a Rear Barrel Band, NOT Capped.

In later years it was re named as the 1895 S (S for Sporter)..........

Then the CBS was added to all the CF Marlins in 1983, and the 1895 S became the 1985 SS....(Soprter Safety)...........Same rifle, but now with a safety........

There were some rifling changes to the Bore over the years............The very 1st barrels were "contract barrels", either from Wilson, or Green Mountain.........I don't recall.........

Once Marlin got tooled up, all the subsequent barrels were produced in house, either as Micro Groove or Ballard cut.............

Over the years, rifling varied from "contractor cut" to a few different Micro Grooves with various lands and grooves, and The newer Ballard deep cut rifling....

Barrel length of 1895's can go from a 16.5" to a 26" CB, .................Your 1895S is a 22" barrel........

Over it's approximately 47 years existance, the 1895 has been made in various models such as CB, CBA's, Guide Guns, Sporter, Sporter Safety, and others less known variations..............

the 1895 has been made as a Blued and a Stainless rifle...............

The Stocks can be found as Straight, or Pistol Gripped butt stocks, and Banded or Capped Forearms...........some checkered, some smooth.............

Stocks were also made in Walnut or Laminate (plywood) in various colors...........BUT, I don't recall there ever being an 1895 with a Hardwood (Birch) stock,but I may be wrong............

Magazine capacity varied with barrel/tube length.........

Basically, the working parts of all of these rifles are the same.........Levers change between stock styles, and caps and bands change as do the sights, but I view them as alike, or very similar.........

As to value of each .............shooters see intrinsic value in things like checkering, bands, barrel length , rifling type, and other features........So value will be subjective and condition plays a BIG part, too..........

That's about as much as I can recall over 1 cup of Coffee.......I hope I've given you some insight.

Tom

·
Banned
619 Posts
My 1895 was made in 1976. It is marked 1895 without any additional letters. It has a straight stock with a hard curved butt plate. The fore end is capped. Were a 1895s from that year the same, or did Marlin concurrently make other configurations?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, perhaps time to put this baby to bed! I believe my 1895S was the last year 'pre' crossbolt. Good for me! With two of the first year production 1895 straight grip, square lever rifles. Youper, your question - that was the original configuration. Believe my 1895S here may have been the second version in latter seventies. Uncertain and thus my question here. Appreciate both styles! Thanks to all for the good info and special Kudos to Tomray for laying out all the data!!!
My ever impression, these Marlin levers vastly underappreciated sleepers. Less now than before, but gave me the opportunity to 'accumulate' some nice ones including these mentioned here. Great guns, the classic Marlins. Just hope that Remington can get it all back together! Thanks again and...
My take

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've had my 1895S since 1980 and love it. Over the years I've modified it some. Because I live in Southeast Alaska, where it is known to rain a wee bit, I've had it coated with a Black T finish, put a plastic stock on it and a Big Loop lever on it. Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had my 1895S since 1980 and love it. Over the years I've modified it some. Because I live in Southeast Alaska, where it is known to rain a wee bit, I've had it coated with a Black T finish, put a plastic stock on it and a Big Loop lever on it. Jim
Yup! Your rifle does sound "wee bit" modified! Here in Southwest California, we also have rain and some photos to prove it! Just did a Wiki "wee bit" about your city. Sounds interesting / Looks beautiful!
My take

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yep, we like it. Only 30 miles of paved roads (about 100 miles total), around 100-130 inches a year, no fast food places, very few tourist boats, and less than 3,000 people just to name a few. Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.