Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new here and just learning about the 1895G's while looking for one to purchase.
I was reading about the issues that some of the early Remmis had when they first changed over.

I now know about the JM marked ones and have compaired markings on the marlin built ones to the later.

One thing I have seen is the serial numbers went from under the lever to being stamped on the left side of the receiver. The new ones have a MR prefix on the serial number.

I have even seen a JM marked barrel with the new serial number location so I am guessing these are TH transition versionsmade around 2008.

I finally found one that already had the XS sights and scope rail on it and am looking forward to taking it out for a drive to see how it handles.

I am looking forward to picking it up.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Although not an expert, I have owned some JM guns with the serial number on the left receiver without the MR prefix - I have owned a couple of the new Remlin guns too and they have in my opinion been up to standard.

I do not understand the New Haven and Ilion manufacture as I have owned NEW guns from NH and IL so did they move the factory or are both producing? Since late 2013 they have been excellent quality from both factories?

I started with the Remlin GBL's - my first genuine lever action - and to be honest it performed pretty well because I did not know any different. Recently I have owned and worked on a number of the JM guide guns and there is a slight difference - form and fit is MUCH better and I kind of like the original G.

Good luck with yours - the XS rail is a bonus - sights are a little tricky to get used to if you want accurate shooting out far but for a 20-50 yard gun they work perfect.

Pete

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
A big welcome to the forums from Georgia! We'll need pictures of you new rifle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.