Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a hiker and will be doing some time in grizzly country soon. I've decided to carry a 45-70, while my partner will carry a bear canister. I've considered the Henry All Weather @ 18.5"/7lbs. I'm also looking at the 1895GS (7lbs) @ 18.5" or the 1895 XLR and having it cut down to ~16", so it would likely be less than 7lbs.

My question -

Is there any practical difference between the GS and the XLR (discounting their barrel lengths, since I'd have the XLR (and possibly the GS shortened). I understand the GS is straight-grip, the XLR is pistol-grip. Any other differences of note? I'm looking mostly for weight-savings and a pre-Remington-quality option that I can remove the safety from. I do know there are blued options in the same range, but stainless is requisite for my needs as the rifle will live in a scabbard on my pack for at least 4 weeks in the rainy season.

Thanks for your consideration!

Regards,
Aaron

·
Registered
765 Posts
(sarcasm)
What! You mean you are not going to carry the latest BIG BORE BOOM BEAR BUSTER $1,200 HANDGUN for protection against bears?
That is what all the gun magazine writers say "should" work for you. Though they have never done it themselves.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what all the gun magazine writers say "should" work for you.
Good reason not to read gun magazines as a hiker :) But hiking magazines emphasize that any hiker who carries a gun is "unpredictable" and "crazy". Apparently the ONLY acceptable to defence against bears is a bear spray. I think this leads to your finally comment...
:boring:

Though they have never done it themselves.

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
Years ago I bought a new 336XLR in 35 Remington and cut it down. At the time the distributors could barely sell them at cost but over the years the prices on the XLR models have really skyrocketed. I probably wouldn't do that to a XLR now since it would kill the collector value but its your money. Other than barrel length and the stocks, the only real difference is the bolt is fluted on the XLR, though that makes no practical difference.

If you want to go 16" then I would start with a 1895GS or 1895SBL. Either gun could be purchased and cut down by a gunsmith for less than what you would pay for a 1895XLR. I recently had my 1895GS cut to 16" and threaded for a suppressor but would have gone shorter (SBR) if my can was rated for it.

FWIW Marlin also made two factory 16" stainless 45-70s including the pistol grip 1895STP and straight grip 1895SDT. Both command a premium these days but at least you wouldn't need to worry about a gunsmith or killing collector value. I have never seen a STP in the wild but have a soft spot for the SDT models.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from dismal valley. I personally wouldn't cut an XLR down but it's your rifle. I would find an STP model. It is stainless and has a laminated stock. Just my opinion. Good luck on your hunt for the right rifle.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Are these rifles you already own? If you're looking for stainless and weather proof why not get an sbl? Basically the same as the xlr but already down to 18 1/2 inches. I hear they are running some stuff rebated right now. And the recent issues with appearance won't matter to a charging bear.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Are these rifles you already own? If you're looking for stainless and weather proof why not get an sbl? Basically the same as the xlr but already down to 18 1/2 inches. I hear they are running some stuff rebated right now. And the recent issues with appearance won't matter to a charging bear.
I don't think I would cut down an XLR. Just get yourself a GS or an SBL. I can't imagine cutting off 2" on either barrel would make that much weight difference for packing while hiking. If you want the extra 2 rounds then go with the SBL. Both are tack drivers and I find that with the 18.5" barrel; it is pretty quick for acquisition. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your thoughtful and quick replies. I have not purchased yet, so it seems like steering away from the XLR is a good idea for the community.

To me the 1895GS makes the most sense overall. They are readily available, and pre-Remingtons seem to go for around $700. The 1895 STP is nice; I hadn't seen the SDP until kingstrider mentioned it - now that is a nice rifle and would be perfect out of the box. I do prefer straight grips anyway (which is one of my hangups with the Henry all weather).

Again, thank you all for your comments!

Regards,
Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.