Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Yes, I sure have seen it, and it's a beautiful piece! From what I can tell, it seems to be a very original, honest gun. Can't say as I've seen one in that configuration for sale in quite some time. I'd guess it will fetch a lot of bidding activity, and should go over $3500 easily! Wouldn't surprise me if it even went over $4500.

·
Banned
393 Posts
I called the guy with the 1895 Marlin. That is NOT a 1895 but a 1893
PG TD in 30/30. BIG difference!! Nice gun even for a 1893 but I think at
4 grand it is over priced. Why? Because that is I have & that is I collect &
I know what these guns bring on the market.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Thanks Jorgy! Absolutely right! If it's an 1893, it sure wont go anywhere near my guesses! Is his reserve $4,000 then, or will he change it now that you told him what he has?

·
Banned
393 Posts
I think this guy has a good marketing strategy because a bidder has
already meet his reserve(4 grand) BUT I think the winner will be
disappointed. The seller should cancel & start all over again because
he is misleading the bidders. Like I said before it would have to be
a very minty 1893 deluxe before I would even think about bidding up
to 4 grand on it. I did not ask the seller if the buyer gets a 3 day
inspection period. I ALWAYS ask for a 3 dayer. If I don't get it I
walk away. The seller did say he would change the auction. However
I have not checked yet to see if he did indeed make the correction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marlin 1893 30 30

Hi everyone I am new to the Forum and Have the gun listed above, I am attaching a picture link and am wondering if you could help me attach a value to the rifle. It has a few flaws as someone brazed a brass loop to the Forearm Cap and the tapped a Sling pin into the bottom of the stock. It is also missing the screw that is just behind the Serial # on the bottom of the reciever. The serial # is 251XXX. The Wood has the normal small bumps and bruises but is still very attractive I would place it in the Very good condition. Thanks for any help
[http://members.cox.net/wmeigs/Guns%20030.jpg][/img]

·
Registered
56 Posts
The winner of that auction is going to be pissed. I called immediately when I saw it and was awfully disappointed when I discovered that:

1 it is an 1893
2 it is a 30-30
3 it isn't even antique

After reading that I was not the only one to call, I believe it was a marketing strategy.

Tucsonite,

What model? 1895, 1893 and what caliber? What's the general condition of the gun? From the picture there appears to be quite a bit of blue remaining.

The serial number would place the gun about 1902.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Photo number 5 shows a full length magazine beneath an octagon barrel. Also, is the Winchester-ish magazine ring a special order feature?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marlin 1893 30 30

Hi everyone,

Sorry it is a model 1893 30 30
here is another picture:
http://members.cox.net/wmeigs/Toys.jpg

I would say 70 percent of blueing remains on the barrel the receiver is grey and am not sure if it was ever blued. the gun has the normal wear marks of a used 1902 rifle. everything appears to work flawlessly but i have never shot the rifle because of the missing screw in the receiver bottom .

thanks

Tucsonite

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those last two pics don't appear to be the same rifle that is on Gunbroker. The one on Gunbroker is checkered and doesn't have a rear sling swivel. What type of marketing strategy are we talking about here??!!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Tucsonite,
I'll assume when you said you had the gun mentioned above, you weren't speaking of the same gun we were discussing in the Gunbroker auction. It's obviously a completely different gun.
Most gun people don't feel comfortable appraising a gun without seeing it first hand, so replis to your request for a value of this gun may be few. I would suggest that you might remove the brass loop from the forearm cap, as it really detracts from the gun's originality, and value. If it is removed, and the stock hole properly repaired, it will increase your gun's value. The rest of your gun appears pretty standard, and although not abused, well used.
Generally, the .30-30 caliber is the least desireable of the 5 calibers the model 1893 came in. Values for 1893's similar to your's (assuming a good bore) have been running in the $400-$500 range lately. This may vary in different areas, so it could be a bit more or less, depending on where it's sold. This would depend on whether the repairs mentioned were done, also.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Jorgy,
It appears the seller has added a note to the auction, plus noted he will release the high bidder from his bid, but he's not changed the title of his auction. I agree, that this seems to be a marketing ploy to get more sellers to bid, and then he'll eventually get someone who decides not to retract their bid. If it was advertised properly, he'd never have reached his reserve price.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I thought it particularly interesting that there is no mention of caliber!!!! moodyholler

·
Banned
393 Posts
There is a old saying "A fool & his money are soon parted." I hope this
is not the case in this auction. Even though the seller did add a note to
his auction I think he should not be allowed to sell on gunbroker.com
anymore. What is interesting is the guy does have good feedback with
only one bad comment. That gun threw me for a loop when I first seen it.
I said to myself that is not a 1895. I should know I have 10 1895's
in my collection. You can always tell a 1895 right away because of the
big frame & the enlarged "gas ports" at the head of the bolt. When one
deals on the internet you have to be very careful. Sellers like this guy
who misleads others just spoil it for the rest of us fellow collectors.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Well said Jorgy!
I thought at first I had possibly missed a tang sight, which covered the model rollstamp, causing the seller to misidentify his gun. Had to go back and look again, and there is no tang sight covering the model designation, so no excuses for his error.
Obviously the seller sells enough guns to know how to identify them, especially since he's been around this one for most of his life. He's careful to not take any pictures of the top tang, and all the pictures seem a bit blurry, except #5, which is the barrel/mag tube of a Winchester.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Gun Broker auction 34568715 is a nice old Winchester 1894 rifle. That is where photo number 5 came from. At least that part of the mystery is solved!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Something is definitly rotten on Gunbroker.com .
Look at pic #4. Whomever owns this collection knows what the hell they are doing. They don't make mistakes in listing a gun like this guy has made. That Model 1895 in the pic is so rare in that condition that you can't possibly make that many mistakes in trying to sell the gun. And then pic #5 shows a Winchester barrel ???
On this one I'd shout 'BUYER BEWARE' !

WB

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Sure would like to know how this all washes out. I see it ended with the reserve met, and the seller saying he would let the high bidder out of his bid. Wonder if anyone below accepted it, still not knowing what it was?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts