Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I figured you all would be the best to ask the following question...

I have been looking for and wanting a JM Marlin in 45-70 and I just haven't really found one that I like or at the right price. I did stumble upon a Marlin model 1895 XLR in 45-70 and JM stamped manufactured in the old plant in 2007. It has a full tube magazine under the barrel, not the short one which seems to be what most of them have when I google search them. It also has a larger lever loop than the standard sized ones, but not as big as on the SBL, sort of between those two sizes.

I have been having a hard time pricing them, the guy wants $900 but I think that seems a bit high. Blue book of gun values 2018 values this gun at $800 in 100% condition (the gun is close to 100% condition and only had 1 previous owner who hardly shot it). I know that the XLR is no longer produced and it is JM stamped so I figured those two factors might add value to it, but I want to make sure I am paying a fair price. In my research online there is not a whole heck of a lot of info out there about the 1895 XLR in 45-70.

Is $900 a fair price or overpriced in your guys opinions? Thanks a ton in advance and I look forward to hearing from you guys!

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
I think all 1895XLRs came with shorter mag tubes and normal levers. Anything else was either customized by a previous owner or possibly made by someone that specializes in lever actions. Does it have the XS rail on top too?

·
Super Moderator
24,401 Posts
I think all 1895XLRs came with shorter mag tubes and normal levers. Anything else was either customized by a previous owner or possibly made by someone that specializes in lever actions. Does it have the XS rail on top too?
I agree---XLRs had a 24 inch barrel and a 3/4 length mag tube. If the XLR is not in this configuration--its been customized.

Reactions: M1Riflenut and rlm1

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners. I’ve never seen an XLR with a full length mag. tube. I had an XLR in 35 Rem. and it had a 3/4 mag. tube on it. Does it have laminated stock and forearm? Like mentioned above it should have a 24” barrel. Take a picture of it and post it and a member will tell you exactly what it is.

·
Super Moderator
24,401 Posts
That rifle has been altered--you can see where the original cut for the mag tube is located. The rifle hopefully is not listed at the normal outrageous XLR price.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
296 Posts
Better than fair price. Really hard to find and great shooter. I'd jump on it and I already have one. Good luck. If you're worried about taking back to stock still the lever and magazine tube shouldn't be that hard to find.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
When I purchased my first Marlin lever gun, it was in 2006 and was a 1895XLR.. I was on a waiting list for several months at my local gun shop and the price was approx $750 plus tax.... I was fortunate about 4yrs ago to find one for my son, 2007 1895XLR like new in the box at a Florida pawn shop. At that time I paid $1,050 and walking away I felt like I had stolen the gun... So the price your local shop is asking for one in near 100% condition is not bad at all.

I followed the Marlin XLR rifles since I first seen them in an late 2005 advertisement in a gun magazine... The pic you posted clearly appears to have the 24" barrel XLR, but the mag tube has been aftermarket lengthened... Additionally, the "big" loop is also an aftermarket add, and is not the typical style Marlin "big loop"....

Overall, looking at your posted pic, the rifle does has a uniqueness and looks in very nice shape... It would be interesting whom modified the gun and why... My first thoughts is that someone had it altered for large game hunting, the longer tube increased the rounds held and the larger loop made it better handling with gloves on... Or possibly it was modified for use in some sort of action shooting comp... Regardless, it appears to look good.

With the way the rifle has been modified, $900 is still a reasonably good price, and if the modifications work for you then even a great buy at that price... but if the rifle was in originally condition, $900 would be a steel for a 1895XLR in 100% condition.

The longer barreled XLR rifles seem to be more of a past thing, that I personally do not see being revisited... More recently the SBL rifles (shorter brother of the XLR with a big loop), seems like something that will stick around for a spell. Sought after and a popular guide gun... After the last run of 1895SBL rifles, the retailed for approx $850 to $900+... If your not sure about this modified XLR and not able to find another XLR readily available for reasonable money... Then hang tight for the next 1895SBL run. All the looks of the 1895XLR rifles, but with a 4" shorter barrel and a big loop lever... Very cool looking!

·
Premium Member
11,414 Posts
Looks pretty nice but is not original as the longer mag tube was added. I would get a blank to put in the spot where the cut is for the original mag tube just for looks. Ranger Point makes them for the front sight that would maybe work even if you had to fit it some.

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
I would buy it but not for $900.00 unless the owner has the original mag. tube and lever. I’d still try to get it for a better price.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Not original but a good buy. If It was at my local shop it would have gone home with me at that price.

·
Registered
252 Posts
In my opinion the difference between an original Marlin configuration and a modified Marlin configuration matters to Marlin collectors and may limit the resale market you will have. Collectors care greatly that a gun is in the original configuration with the original parts and in the best possible condition.

If you are a Marlin collector then this would not be a good choice. If you are one of us that consider these lever guns amazing tools for throwing .45 caliber bullets at critters I wouldn't hesitate to make it mine and I second Golphin's idea of filling the dovetail with a Ranger Point part. Will make it look darn near perfect.

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Interested to see if you buy the gun OP. For the price you won't go wrong but like others said I would point out the mods and try to haggle for less. That said the mods probably cost the previous owner several hundred dollars so depending on how you feel about them could be considered a plus. FWIW a RPP dovetail blank would be perfect for that gun and can be installed in a few minutes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Montana, you probably do not want this rifle. Please feel free to send me all the contact info for the current owner. I will do my best to help mitigate any possibility of buyer's remorse on your part. We should take action immediately. I am standing by for your reply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts