Votes: 30 88.2%
  • undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1895 and I am so in love with the Alaskan Co-Pilot from WWG, I have come to an agreement with myself that I really don't need ALL of the things they offer. I mostly just want a takedown conversion and black stock. I'm considering sill sending it to WWG and just having them do those few things, but I was just curious to see what other gun smith recommendations the community has. I'm local in GA so if there any here in GA that may be able to do this job, that would FREAKING great!

Side Note: If you guys want to add your opinion on converting my gun to a 50 Alaskan, go ahead. I'm considering it. But I don't really see much more adv than 45-70.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'd stick with 45-70 because ammo is much easier to find than the other calibers.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Welcome to the MO Forum! I think you will find that most here will agree, the .45-70 serves many needs.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,535 Posts
I would seriously be considering someone who does these conversions for a living, not someone who says or thinks he can do one. There is a lot involved, the bulk of the cost will be the conversion itself. Welcome to MO, and pictures of the outcome are MANDATORY! Just my $.02 PS, what the others say, keep it a 45/70, unless your the kind of person that just loves, and can afford exotics. AC

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Good thing it can't be converted to .444 Marlin! :flute:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You all are wonderful!

Everyone on this forum is just so nice and helpful, thanks for all the replies so far! Don't forget to leave the names of your favorite gunsmiths who may know how to do TakeDown conversions of the 1895!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I did some research a few years ago and narrowed it down to two smiths. WWG and the Arms Room. The Arms Room uses a barrel band to secure the barrel and magazine tube. WWG uses a threaded thumb screw to secure the barrel and magazine tube. I went with the WWG because they assured me I wouldn't lose round capacity. The Arms Room said I would lose 1 round. My conversion was for an 1894 45 LC and WWG did an excellent job and took a few months.Takedown Lever Actions

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.