Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my local gun shop today looking for some ammo. I found some CCI 22 cal. and a box of 45 acp. I went over to my favorite section the lever gun's! Lot's of Italian lever's and single action's. Low and behold a JM Cowboy in 45-70 in about 99% cond. The 26 inch barrel with I believe is Ballard rifling. Not one mark anywhere on this fine rifle! The dealer is looking to get $975.00. It's pricey, but it's the first one I've seen in a long time. I'm going to see if he will take something in trade. I'm not sure what I'll bring in there yet. Hopefully it will be mine! What do you gentleman think of the price? The way gun's are flying off the shelf's it wont be there long!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I stopped by my local gun shop today looking for some ammo. I found some CCI 22 cal. and a box of 45 acp. I went over to my favorite section the lever gun's! Lot's of Italian lever's and single action's. Low and behold a JM Cowboy in 45-70 in about 99% cond. The 26 inch barrel with I believe is Ballard rifling. Not one mark anywhere on this fine rifle! The dealer is looking to get $975.00. It's pricey, but it's the first one I've seen in a long time. I'm going to see if he will take something in trade. I'm not sure what I'll bring in there yet. Hopefully it will be mine! What do you gentleman think of the price? The way gun's are flying off the shelf's it wont be there long!

Think of it as an investment. Guaranteed to appreciate in value if used and cared for. Hard to find JM's for less than $1,000 these days.

Reactions: vt4ster and jog

·
Registered
653 Posts
I paid about 5.25 for mine when they first started making them. Its given good service and enjoyment . Also the value is doing better than my 401K and its will only do better if Ruger doesn't make the CB model again!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I gave $900 for a Remlin built 1894CB45 two weeks ago, and was happy to find it. That is not a great price but it is a reasonable price in todays market. It is a JM stamped I would not let it go. They are almost impossible to find anymore. I got lucky that a local shop had it that I never visit. I did not let it sit back down. Love that Remlin Marlin, it shoots outstanding. The JM should even be better.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm sitting here watching the Yellowstone marathon with a few Guinness I'm taking apart my new to me Marlin JM 1895 cowboy in 45-70. It's a 2006 made cowboy. It's better than I thought after checking it out yesterday! It's a close to 100% as I've ever seen! There's not one mark anywhere on the rifle! After extensive cleaning and oiling I realize it may have a box or two thru it. The Ballard rifling is pristine! I had to trade off a unfired AR15 and a few bayonets' I had laying around for year's. I'm glad I made the trade even though I had to pay the tax on it! I was hoping no cash investment whatsoever! The black walnut has some beautiful grains running thru it. I have never owned a 45-70 so I have no ammo for it. I'm hoping some will pop up at my local shop soon. I was the first person at the LGS when they opened. I will post some photo's in a few day's! I was on You tube watching everything they had on Marlin JM 1895 CB in 45-70. Hickock 45 sold me on it for sure! Thanks' for all your advise gentleman! Marlinitis has struck again! The shop also had a Winchester 94 from 1955 in 32 spl. in very good or better shape. They wanted $650.00. If you don't reload your not going to find any 32 spl. around for a while! Thanks' gentleman's enjoy your weekend!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Congrats, think of it as an investment that you can actually have some fun with!

Reactions: 2adad1974

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anybody know the name of the company that makes the plug to replace the ugly push button safety? I would put the saddle ring on but I'm lefty. Unless the saddle ring plug is reversible. Any info. is helpful!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Those safety deletes are top notch. I have a couple from them. One on my 1894CB45 and one on my 1894 CSBL. I paid $800 for my CSBL and could not believe the prices they are going fo now. Placed an order for a 1894CB44 yesterday at my LGS. He laughed at me, I told him I know they are not available but I want to get on the list when Ruger starts making them again. I am in no hurry and want a Ruger made one anyway. That way I will have all three manufactures of the Marlins.

·
Registered
19,857 Posts
Congrats on your new acquisition! Lookin' forward to the pics!

Reactions: jog
1 - 20 of 26 Posts