Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(EDITED:::: It's actually a 2x7x32, not 2x8, sorry for not paying attention to my typing!)I've had my guide gun for a few years, and hope to be able to use it this year in Ohio's deer gun season, since rules have been proposed to allow the 45-70 for the first time! I'm optimistic that it will pass, and thanks to being able to see all the members photos, and their recommendations, I decided on: Burris 2x7x32 Scout Scope, with Leupold QRW Medium Height Rings, (first tried Low Rings, but too low), on an XS Rail with Ghost Ring. I had already installed a DRC Marlin Glove (big) Loop Lever, and a Cross Bolt Safety removal kit. think I'm going to like this set up, but need to go to the range soon! I know the Scout Scope will take some getting used to. IMG_3889.JPG IMG_3890.JPG IMG_3900.JPG Thanks for all your opinions and recommendations!

U T

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Nice looking outfit. I like Burris scopes.

Myself, I haven't decided to go with my 45 70 or my 1894 in .357 this year in Ohio, if it passes. But I'm leaning toward the .357. It's handier and lighter. And proven.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Welcome Aboard UT! That's a real good looking setup there! I've got family on Iowa and they hunt deer with shotguns loaded with slugs. Huge deer back there and you can see for 50 miles, I never understood the rules they have to go by. Good luck on those changes, hopefully the pooliticians won't let another bunch of ignorant ideas get in the way of common sense.....

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I know the Scout Scope will take some getting used to.
It's not for everyone, but I think you'll like it. The back end of your scope is just above the sight base, which is right where you want it, it's almost identical to looking through the iron sights. My acid test was to close my eyes, mount the gun to my shoulder, and open my eyes. If I'm looking dead straight through the scope, it's mounted properly. Some stock designs lend themselves to higher-mounted scope, the Marlin does not. More lower is more gooder.

I can just barely get a business card between the objective bell and the base. Perfect!

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Nice set up. I'm a big fan of that exact set up.I have my SBL and 35rem set up the same way. Hard to beat it in a woods hunting situation.
No experience with the variable power scout scope but my leupold 2.5x28 works grate from 10 yards out to 150 yards. Never tried to stretch it farther do to the limits of the range but I bet it would be ok out to 200 yards.
20140322_135008.jpg 20131225_085153.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very nice. I hope mine will be set up like that when I finish it up. Good to hear about the Burris scope, something more for me to check out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks very nice.
I decided to go with 45-70 rather than my 1894 44 mags for deer hunting next year too. I know we are all looking forward to next season and finally being able to use some of our rifles for our deer hunting.

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey UT,

Welcome to MO.

Swell looking Guide Gun.

Wait until you take a deer with that fine Marlin! You will wonder why anyone would hunt with anything other! LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
932 Posts
UT,welcome to MO from NY. Remember this is just my two cents.While bear hunting in Maine last fall my friend had a shot at 40 yds.at that witching hour (2 mins before legal shooting time ends).He had the "scout set up",being a very cloudy day/eveing.He couldn't get a clear sight picture for a clean precise shot ( Nikon or Burris scope).I'm no expert,nor do I play one on TV,but I suggested that the distance from your eye to the scope was too great and allowed too much darkness between them-kinda like shooting with a pistol scope.Like I said it was late,overcast and thick underbrush.The next day he went out with his other rifle that had the "normal/usual"scope set up(if you will).He was able to take the bear at exactly closing time.He said the sight picture was very clear and he felt very confident in the shot-no tracking or trailing.As I said before,Im no expert and I don't want to start ANY wars with this entry.It's just my Very,Very limited experience with a scout scope set up.My intent is not to step on anyones shoes/values-this is just my experience/opinon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you did good on the rifle and ++++on posting pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the positive responses. I am anxious to shoot it with the new ghost ring and with the scope.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohio passed the law allowing certain straight walled cartridges in rifles. I will be ready with mine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's not for everyone, but I think you'll like it. The back end of your scope is just above the sight base, which is right where you want it, it's almost identical to looking through the iron sights. My acid test was to close my eyes, mount the gun to my shoulder, and open my eyes. If I'm looking dead straight through the scope, it's mounted properly. Some stock designs lend themselves to higher-mounted scope, the Marlin does not. More lower is more gooder.

I can just barely get a business card between the objective bell and the base. Perfect!

I've been struggling to get a good cheek-weld to the wood with my current setup. This looks just what the doctor ordered, what's the rail, mounts and scope Papa' ?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I've been struggling to get a good cheek-weld to the wood with my current setup. This looks just what the doctor ordered, what's the rail, mounts and scope Papa' ?
Hey GR, the rail is an XS Scout Mount. Not sure of his rings, but I'm running Weaver Quad-locks (low). My scope mounts just about exactly like PJ's, barely able to get the scope covers on and off. I think that PJ is running the Leatherwood 2-7x32. Same one I have. They're going for $120-$150, depending on the reticle you pick. Mine has stood up to many, many firings of very heavily loaded (brutal recoiling) 530gr bullets. It's a good scope for the money.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Nice set up. I haven't seen the Burris 2x8 scout yet. I have a traditional set up on my GS. I wish IL would do the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great to see you post on the forum! I am also in the market for a scout optic...did you consider the Leupold (or anything else)? If so, other than cost why did you go with the Burris?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice set up. I haven't seen the Burris 2x8 scout yet. I have a traditional set up on my GS. I wish IL would do the same.
You will never see the Burris 2x8 scout, since my Dumb A_S typed it wrong. It's actually a 2x7x32. Sorry for the wrong info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also considered the Leatherwood HiLux 2x7x32, but really didn't know much about them, and I've had Burris scope before, and their good reputation. I don't think leatherwood has as large of field of view. I would have considered Leupold, but I think they only had scout in 2.5 fixed power. Burris was expensive to me at about 379.00

1 - 20 of 20 Posts