Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I am Tom from Bavaria and since the 1970 an average target shooter with a bunch of different tools for punching holes in paper at 25/50 and 100 meters :flute::flute:

This weekend a Bavarian shooting buddy offered the a.m. rifle.

Because i am new to Marlins may i ask for some help.
  • What are the critical points i should check before considering to buy?
  • I do not need killer loads, i prefer loads for 100 meter target range

What loads/bullets do you recomend therefore? I have the following powders on hand: VVn320, VVn330, VVn340, Trail Boss Swiss RS20 and BP Swiss3

Express loads sound good as well
  • Finally what is a reasonable price if the piece is technical 100% ok and the bore as fine as it can be after so many years??

P.S. As soon as i have some pictures i will add...
Many thanks for your kind advice

greetings

Tom

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wow! I think you are saying you now have a 114 year old Marlin in good shape. Am I right?
First off, welcome to the best Marlin Forum on the planet.
Second, have a competent 'smith check it over before firing. Even if your buddy has been firing it for a while already, I'd still have it checked out.
Light loads are your friend! I would think the collectors value would over ride my desire to shoot it, but that's me.
Others will chime in here with much more experience than myself.
BTW Pictures are a must!
Again welcome from my ancestral homeland.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there PT -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. If the rifle functions, has a good bore, and you can afford it, buy it! The availability of brass may be a consideration. With the exception of Swiss3, I can't help you with powder choice. www.gmdr.com has the "V" loads listed in 45-70 with both the 405 and 500 grain bullet. Click the Oregon Trail loading data in the top right of the home page, and scroll to 45-70 on the left. Here is what I'd be using here in the States.

View attachment 104638

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear all,

Thanks so far for your kind hints. For my 1886 45-70 i use 63grain Swiss 3 which works nicely. Could i use the same amount and a paper wad and a filler (coffee grain) for this larger brass with succes. I have no desire to fill up the brass totaly with BP.

Any hints for a "reduced" BP load? My bullet will be in the 300-340 grain range.

Greetings

PT

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Jeebus! Either that is one superb restoration or you hit paydirt. I shudder to think what an original in that shape would go for on g.b. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts