Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently purchased a used Marlin 1895 .45-70 that was customized by Wild West Guns. I believe the date of manufacture to be some time around the late 1990s.

I am not unfamiliar with firearms. I grew up bird hunting with shotguns, and I am familiar with handguns. But this is the first lever action rifle I have ever owned.

The gun came with no documentation. I have fired the gun multiple times with multiple makes of ammunition. I have found that the Hornady Leverevolution and Subsonic rounds jam 100% of the time and can only be used single loaded in to the receiver. This weekend for the first time I tried the Federal Hammer Down rounds, and they cycled find from the magazine to the receiver and fired fine for the first couple of magazines. However, on the last couple of cycles they began to jam. (What I mean by "jam" in all of these cases is the round being lodged partly still in the magazine and partly in the carrier, not pushed entirely in to the receiver for loading.)

Now, being inexperienced with this type of gun it is entirely possible that the above are the results of user error. Feel free to offer that as an opinion.

But my assumption outside of that explanation is that the gun needs to be cleaned and maintained. I don't know how long it had been sitting in the store where I bought it, and I have no idea if or how it was maintained by the previous owner(s). That's a long way of getting to my question: Are there any kind of references for how to break down and properly clean this gun?

Thank you.

-Mark

·
Registered
26,063 Posts
The above video will help. make sure you check and clean the inside of the tube magazine. lube the parts. give her a try. if it does the same thing there are folks here that can guide you. best of luck let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the video, replies and guidance. I'm really happy to find a whole community dedicated to Marlin guns!

I wanted to add (as I forgot to mention) this gun is the "takedown"customization from WWG, so it comes apart for portability--if that matters in terms of jamming, maintenance, etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If cleaning does not work feel free to PM me. I have an 1895 in 45-70 that had a Load Gate jam issue. The Load Gate was not the issue but the Marlin design. The cleaning video posted above is excellent.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You came to the right place for information and help with Marlins. I joined a few years ago when I bought my first lever action. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Working the lever slowly can sometimes cause a jam. Work that lever with some authority and it should function properly, as long as there isn't a mechanical issue with a bent/broken part.

Reactions: Carolina Man

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Jams as your describing can be caused by longer cartridges.
With the Mods made by WWG for a takedown may complicate that.
How long (OAL) are the LV and Subsonic rounds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, everyone. I am following the video above. As my rifle seems to be older and also a takedown model, the screw for my magazine spring release is different. It has a large thumb wheel. I have loosened it as much as I can, and the screw is not releasing. The magazine tube is not opening, and the spring is not coming out. Any recommendations on what I am doing wrong?

I see what looks like a tiny pin in the very end of the tube just past the thumbscrew. Might I need to knock that out to get the end cap off?

Thanks for your help.

Mark

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes, it looks like you tap that pin out with a punch then remove the end cap. As for the thumb screw, I think that the mag spring is pushing against it. Once you remove the end cap, you should be able to stick something in there to compress the spring and the thumb screw should come right out.

·
Super Moderator
9,766 Posts
That should not be bent-------I would be more interested in what caused it to bend. I've seen this bent strut on some Remlins (Marlins made by Remington). On the butt stock there is a hole in the back where that hammer strut pokes into when you cock the hammer. If the hole in the stock does not align and the strut has no place to go into it hits the side and can bend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jams as your describing can be caused by longer cartridges.
With the Mods made by WWG for a takedown may complicate that.
How long (OAL) are the LV and Subsonic rounds?
I tried uploading a photo of the three different rounds I have used but the website won't let me. They are Hornady Leverrevolution (2 5/8"), Federal Hammer Down (2 9/16"), Hornady Subsonic (2 1/2"). These are my own measurements taken with a ruler. I'm not sure what the official measurements are. Of course, I have read multiple accounts of people successfully using all of these ammunitions in a Marlin 1895.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I tried uploading a photo of the three different rounds I have used but the website won't let me. They are Hornady Leverrevolution (2 5/8"), Federal Hammer Down (2 9/16"), Hornady Subsonic (2 1/2"). These are my own measurements taken with a ruler. I'm not sure what the official measurements are. Of course, I have read multiple accounts of people successfully using all of these ammunitions in a Marlin 1895.
The empty LR cases should be shorter than the Hammer Downs. The LR bullet geometry in some cases require shorter cases to crimp on a parallel part of the bullet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts