Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marlin 1895 .45/70, 22" Scope Set Up

First hello to you all, this is my first post.

I just bought my first Marlin in 45/70. No cross bolt safety.I have two scopes I am considering. Choice one is an older Weaver K2.5 made in El Paso, Tx fixed 2.5 and second choice is a older Weaver K-4 made in El Paso, fixed 4. Which do you guys think would better.

Also, can you please tell me what bases and rings work well with this set up.

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Re: Marlin 1895 .45/70, 22" Scope Set Up

Great looking rifle, I saw that one on the 'fire and didn't figure it would take long.

Myself, with those choices, I would use the Weaver K2.5, Marlin leverguns and straight tube scope look real sharp together.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts

Hi,
I use the EGW base and Leupold QD low rings. Depends on how old and the condition of the K4. otherwisw go for the 2.5

·
Registered
277 Posts

+1 on the 2.5

·
Registered
8,702 Posts

If you get shots that are up close and personal then the fixed 2.5 is the ticket! Too much magnification up close makes it hard to get on target quickly. I prefer the low power scopes on a brush gun. My variable scout goes down to 1.5.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Well, I just got my 45-70 guide gun and im runnin it with xs sights for now. However, I have an older pre safety 30-30 with a weaver k4 and it shoots outstanding. Just enough magnification to shoot better than peep sights but low enough to make quick brush shots. I have had no problems with my k4 in any situation and love it to death. Your mileage may very but for the model you have, my vote is the k4. Either way have fun! ;D

·
Registered
247 Posts

There are a lot of variables to consider. If the 2.5 scope can be properly mounted (with respect to eye relief) and also fit between the receiver scope mount tapped holes, you might look at the Talley rings with integral bases. If, however, the scope must be mounted further forward, you may want to use the Dednutz found here http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_36. Of course, the classic Leupold mount would be in keeping with the age and style of the rifle, but it takes more effort to get lined up.

The 4X scope may interfere with the rear sight, depending on where the scope is placed and the objective bell diameter.

·
Registered
154 Posts

my scope of choice is the Leupold 2x7x33. I set up the XLR with the XS rail. My other 45-70 will be set up with the XS scout mount with a Leupold. Both have the the QD rings.

·
Registered
671 Posts

DNZ Game reaper one piece scope rings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts