Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sad. Been looking for 1894M for five years or longer. Tried gun shows, pawnshops, classifieds, and word of mouth, all to no avail. have even thought of converting a 39A to .22 magnum. Anybody out there know if this is even feasable? :cry:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Does the 1894m and the 39A use the same receiver/action? I thought the 1894m had a longer action than the 39A. I was under the impression that the 39A was plenty strong to handle the .22mag, but the action was too short for the longer cartridge.

Parley Baer,
I'm not disputing you statement at all, but would like to clear up any misinformation that I might have.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The 1894 action is normally chambered for pistol cartridges and as powerfull as the .44 Remington magnum. The Model 1894 is the much stronger action. You are correct in that the 1894 does have a longer action when compared to the 39A.

The 39A has always been chambered for the .22 with the long rifle being the most powerfull. Believe me if Marlin thought the .39A would handle the .22 magnum they would have done it. Parley

·
Registered
422 Posts
Keep looking, you'll find one. Gives you more reasons to stop in the gun shops and go to the shows. I looked for 6 years before I found an 1894S in .41 Mag for sale.

The 1894M's are not easy to find, I have seen exactly one, and I bought it. Paid more than I would have liked but really wanted the rifle.

Good luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Parley Baer ,

Thanks for clearing that up. My mind is working slow,as usual. I didn't associate the 1894 (centerfire) with the 1894m.

I would have thought the Marlin 39A would be as strong as the Winchester 9422/m. Thanks again Parley, I'll never be to old to learn.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Parley,
How much does the take-down factor of the 39 contribute to its unavailability in 22mag?

9X19, thats a nice post,if I didn,t already have one I'd be on top of that.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Mudpuppy

I really don't know. I do know that the Model 39 had a problem with High Speed 22 long rifle ammo. A change in how they machined the bolt solved that problem. The Model 39 with a HS prefix and all 39A's will handle the High Speed ammo just fine. Parley

·
Registered
422 Posts
Another 1894 M listed in Gunlist this week, new in box-$550. Don't have the phone number handy though. If anyone is interested, I'll go find it.

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
if action it is strong enough i noticed numrich has 22 mag barrels for 1894m in stock for $123. i'm not expert and am wondering what if any other changes would have to be made. i also would love to have an 1894m. with the price of 22lr ammo id much rather spend extra on mag ammo, since price of 22 ammo has gone crazy and availability is scketchy ive aquired both a 22 hornet and another 25-20, i guess now i need a 218 bee in an 1894cl. the 1894cl in 22 bee is much easier to find than an 1894m

1 - 12 of 12 Posts