Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any know how many Marlin 1894CB 38 Special were made? I’m not talking about the Cowboy Competition one, this one is the standard 20” Cowboy gun.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I have one and, as I recall, they were a Davidson's special run. Most runs were limited to 500 or 1000 each. Maybe someone with a better memory will check in and respond.

Reactions: Marlin87

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one and, as I recall, they were a Davidson's special run. Most runs were limited to 500 or 1000 each. Maybe someone with a better memory will check in and respond.
Thanks for the info! Anyone else have this Cowboy gun?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The only "JM" 38 S&W Special Cowboy's listed in Marlin catalogs were the Cowboy Competition models (with the case colored receivers). These were made from 2002 to 2005 (serial prefix 98 to 95).
There were "JM" 357 Magnum/38 S&W Special, offerings starting in 1997 thru 2009, and later REM marked and MR marked rifles. But all of these were 357/38.
None of the Davidson's special runs were chambered in 38 S&W Special.
NOW, I did find a 2002 model 1894CB that was chambered in 38 S&W Special only. I bought it and believe that although it was correct from the factory, NIB... it was an odd ball. Never was in the catalog in this configuration. So.... never say never!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only "JM" 38 S&W Special Cowboy's listed in Marlin catalogs were the Cowboy Competition models (with the case colored receivers). These were made from 2002 to 2005 (serial prefix 98 to 95).
There were "JM" 357 Magnum/38 S&W Special, offerings starting in 1997 thru 2009, and later REM marked and MR marked rifles. But all of these were 357/38.
None of the Davidson's special runs were chambered in 38 S&W Special.
NOW, I did find a 2002 model 1894CB that was chambered in 38 S&W Special only. I bought it and believe that although it was correct from the factory, NIB... it was an odd ball. Never was in the catalog in this configuration. So.... never say never!
Well I bought one of Gun Broker, should get it Friday!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Interesting read. I never really realized there were some .38 special only models. My first question was why? When, it should have been why the heck not I suppose? Considering the action can hold up to higher pressures, I’m sure you can load up some hot 38s. Looking forward to pictures and a range report as well!

·
Registered
128 Posts
It’s unfired New In Box, not sure their will be a range report. Looks good in my collection of cowboy guns.
looks alot like the one I sold ... I'll bet the serial # ends in 3472?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think it was a great idea to chamber it in .38spcl, you get plenty of velocity from the long barrel, brass is easier to get. I would order a brand new one if it was available today and of good quality.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
What a nice find. I really like the "stripes" on the stock. That's an interesting piece of wood.

I can't imagine there would be any alterations that would make the action too weak for magnum loads. Maybe the the shorter cartridge allows a shorter throw of the lever? Would 1/10th of an inch make that much difference?

I think there are a lot of people that have the illusion that shooting .38 in a .357 chamber negatively effects accuracy. I have never found that to be the case. In fact, I have often found the opposite.

Maybe it's the particulars of my handloads. Or more likely a marketing angle?

It would be informative to see the parts side by side.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have only seen 4 of these (38 special only) sell on Gunbroker, and that is tracking sales for over 15 years! I suspect that they were made early in 2002 as the Cowboy Competition was introduced that year, CC barrel with standard receiver?? There were not many.. for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts