Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While RPP is not the first to successfully convert an 1894 to run auto-pistol cartridges, it would seem we are one of only a handful of custom shops doing so.

As the cowboys of the Old West proved, having a rifle and handgun chambered in the same cartridge is super convenient - carry one type of ammo in one box or cartridge belt.

While revolver cartridges are excellent, many modern shooters prefer a semi-automatic handgun. As such, we've decided to offer caliber conversions in common semi-auto pistol calibers. We've worked with Douglas Barrels to develop Marlin profiled pistol caliber barrels that are highly accurate.

Pistol caliber carbines are light, handy and perfect for close range shooting as well as have some other real advantages: typically they recoil much less, hold more ammo, and are far quieter than high-power rifles.

Our conversions are not warmed over factory rifles, but are married from the action up to your caliber of choice. All critical parts are modified to produce an 1894 carbine that runs these shorter semi-auto pistol cartridges faster, smoother, more accurately, and more reliably than a factory rifle.

Here’s how:

• Faster: Every one of our semi-auto 1894 pistol caliber carbines includes a short stroke conversion. This means that you move the lever significantly less to cycle the action, resulting in faster follow-up shots.

• Smoother: Every one of our conversions includes as standard our full action and trigger treatment, for the lightest, slickest action possible.

• Accurate: Our conversions are built with quality Douglas barrel blanks, individually chambered, concentric to the bore, and perfectly head-spaced to your chosen cartridge. In addtiion, our accurizing service ensures MOA accuracy.

• Reliable: Because every action part is modified and/or hand tuned, your converted pistol caliber carbine will run flawlessly. No feed glitches, no failures to extract or eject. Just go time. Every time.

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff. That's the KG Gun Kote metal coating we use in antique brass. Our customer has great taste! Really love the brass with the black on the barrel and the wood.

Reactions: palmetto pirate

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Well, I could sure have a lot of fun with one of those in the .45acp, ha! Nice looking too, and with Skinner sights to boot... :biggrin:
Keep up the good work!

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm saving for a 10mm, have to get another 1894 since I will not sacrifice my JM for this build but I will have a 10mm. :biggrin:
We're building a few 10MM builds right now. So far this has been the most popular of the 4 options! :flute:

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Husker,

We have no plans for a .327 Fed mag, for two reasons: first, the only well suited donor rifle would be one chambered in .32 H&R. While Marlin did produce some 1894s in this chambering, they are rare and costly. Second, the .327 Fed operates at 45,000psi, which is well in excess of the 1894's intended pressure range. While the the small case diameter of the .327 might reduce bolt thrust enough to be safe in the Marlin, it makes us uncomfortable just thinking about the possibilities. We've seen what happens when pressures get excessive, and it ain't good.

Best,
AD

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
I guess none of the Marlin levers can handle the pressure of the 454 Casull? Apparently the Rossi R92 is up to the task.

A marlin in that chambering would make a handy carbine capable of firing 45 Long Colt as the "light" load.

T.S.

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess none of the Marlin levers can handle the pressure of the 454 Casull? Apparently the Rossi R92 is up to the task.

A marlin in that chambering would make a handy carbine capable of firing 45 Long Colt as the "light" load.

T.S.
The 1894 would be the obvious choice, and while the action can be stretched just long enough to feed the .454, it can't handle the bolt thrust. The open sided receiver of the 1894 takes away support from one leg of the locking lug, diminishing its capacity to handle pressures equal to the '92 or the 336. The 336--or better, the MX platform--could probably handle the Casull, but then, what would be the point, with larger, more powerful (and less stressful) chamberings available in those rifles.

This was part of my motivation for the .44 Ripsaw. I wanted true big bore power for the 1894. A Casull powered R92 would get pretty close, just never cared for them.

AD

AD

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Good news! We're excited to announce our Marlin 1894 Big Loop Levers (available for $145 in stainless and gun metal blue KG Gun Kote finishes). Now available in our online store.
Coming soon! Marlin 1895 Straight Grip Stocks (mid-to-late July 2015) and Marlin Pistol Grip Stocks for 308MX, 336, 336W, 336Y, 338MX, 444, 1895 (August 2015).

Attachments

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wanted to share an article that came out yesterday on RPP and our Marlin 1894 pistol caliber, short stroke conversions. Pete M. at The Firearm Blog (TFB), which I suspect many of you read, wrote a very nice article about our work. Pete is a huge lever-action fan and was really intrigued by all of our offerings and even included a half dozen photos of some of our customs in the piece.

"So when I stumbled upon Ranger Point Precision (RPP) in Cypress, Texas, I was immediately intrigued. Not only did I like the styling and finish on some of their more popular models, but their short-stroke pistol caliber carbines especially caught my attention. Unique chamber offerings range from .40S&W, .357Sig, .45ACP, 10mm and a nasty looking .44 RIPSAW....

We're honored to have been featured on their site and would definitely recommend The Firearm Blog (TFB) to add to your regular reading list. They do a great job of reporting on the latest industry news and provide product reviews on just about everything (and try to steer clear of politics all together). Check them out if you're not already a reader, you won't be disappointed.

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the maximum COAL you can stretch the M 1894? 1.80ish?
Crow,

The 9x23 is pretty hot for the 1894. The big loop levers are almost a necessity with gloves, but plenty of guys with larger hands find them more comfortable bare handed too. The longest I've stretched the 1894 action to is 1.75", and that's as far as I'll go.

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick update. We now offer these conversions in .38 Super and .327 Federal (base rifle 1894CL).

Marlin 1894 Short Stroke, Pistol Caliber Lever Action in one of the following: .9MM, .10MM, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .44 RIPSAW, .45 ACP, .45 Cowboy, .327 Federal, or .357 SIG

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the interest in our Pistol Caliber, Short Stroke conversions. We've been building and shipping these out as fast as we can to meet demand. These have become our best seller especially the .45 ACP and .10mm versions. The .327 Federals are starting to pickup as well most notably b/c they're about 1/2 the cost since we can use the 1894CL 32/20's original barrel vs. needing a new Douglas barrel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The .327 Federals are starting to pickup as well most notably b/c they're about 1/2 the cost since we can use the 1894CL 32/20's original barrel vs. needing a new Douglas barrel.
Interesting. By the same token, could an 1894 in .357 Magnum conversion to 9mm keep the original barrel at ½ the cost? I appreciate the difference between 0.355" and 0.357" can be significant, but I get excellent accuracy from my Ruger Blackhawk Convertible when shooting 9mm through its 357 barrel.

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately, the bolt face on a 357 is to big for a 9mm conversion. We do convert 357's to 10mm, 40 S&W, 38 super and 357 SIG.

For the 9mm, the donor needs to be a Marlin 1894CL 32-20, 25-20 or 218 Bee.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts