Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY!!!

Received one today. Nice looking firearm. Will not be able to tell you about function or accuracy as it is for one of my customers. I am sure he will let me know what he finds out and I will relate to you at some later date.

The wood finish could be a bit smoother; feels like sand in the final finish. Wood to metal fit is good and the blue is excellent. The tubular magagine slides very smoothly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FINALLY!!! They are coming out. I was at Greybeards Outdoor Forum, and here is what someone had to say when he called Marlin:

"I finally, after three unreturned calls, got ahold of Marlin. The lady in scheduling said thay will begin production next week thru the end of March on the 32 CB. First run is scheduled to go out the end of January."

They told me they would release them in December, LIARS!!!

Allen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Ronald,

Did you get your rifle from Davidson's or did you get it from an individual dealer?? Or did you dealer get it from Davidson's??

Please let us know.

Thanks, Allen

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have had one order since 12/03. Maybe I will get it soon........... :roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Customer picked up his rifle last Friday and we had a chance to load, function and fire with his handloads. All worked fine and the shooting was off-hand at 75 yards at a small clump of dirt on the backstop (too much snow to wade out there and put up a target). We made one sight adjustment and the clump was repeatedly struck by two different shooters. We are quite satisfied with this firearm and would recommend it to anyone wanting one. RJSnow

·
Registered
212 Posts
C.S., Yep we must be last served! Let me know when you get yours..... :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Me, being completely ignorant about the 32mag cartridge, why would anyone want one? Wouldn't a 38spl be just as good, for less bucks to shoot?

Now, I can understand if someone just wanted something different.

hog

·
Registered
212 Posts
For me it's just somthing different to play with. I have two ruger pistols to go with it. The 32 mag is very cheap to load for and no recoil. Just a fun plinker.

·
Registered
623 Posts
For me it's kind of a two fold reason. It's something new and I too have a pair of Ruger's to match it. I also want one for when my daughter gets old enough to shoot. Probably mostly for me though.
It's a cool cartridge too. The pistols can shoot not only the .32 mag., but also the .32 S&W Long, .32S&W and the .32 Auto. If the rifle's are that verstile it would be great. It should be possible, it loads just like the .22 and it'll shoot longs and shorts as well as long rifles. We'll see, sometime. I hope.

C.S.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks, We want a full report as soon as possible. Maybe mine will show up soon........

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I'm some what torn about the rifle. I dont shoot cowboy matches so I have no need what so ever for the rifle, but think it would be a neat gun to have. the problem I have is spending $600+ dollars on a plinker. It really isnt much good for anything else. It sure isnt a deer cartridge.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm waiting on one too.

I fully agree its not a deer gun, but I can't wait to try it out on a crow or a groundhog out to 100 yards or so with a full power load and Hornady XTP bullet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ok fellers here goes.

I picked it up this morning and ran about 75 rounds through it. I used the bullets I had loaded for my Single Sixes and it shot them good enough to make a clean kill on anything the size of a rabbit or bigger at 25yards. My load is, (insert Lawyers warning here) a 97gr. RN from a Lee mold over 2.3gr. Unique in Starline Brass and a WSP primer. I didn't take the Chrony (didn't have time)but this load runs around 575fps out of my Single Sixes so I would guess they are clipping along somewhere between 850 - 1000fps out of the Marlin. They smacked the steel targets pretty good too. I shot an old washing machine drum from about 20 yards it went through the front side and dented the back side enough to pop off some of the enamel. It wouldn't be my first choice for a deer gun but if I was hungry and a deer happened by, we'd be eating venison. I have some loaded for when I get time to see what it'll do over the chrony. A box of 97gr.'s and a box of Valiant's 115gr.'s. I'm looking for a load that I can get consistant head shots on squirrels with. For back yard pest control you could try a .314" round ball.
As for the fit and finish I wouldn't call it perfect. The wood isn't perfectly straight where it meets the metal but it ain't that bad, I'd say around 98%. The action is a little stiff but not as stiff as my 97CB was out of the box. It has the ever famous 25lbs Marlin trigger. Overall I'd say they did a great job. I am very pleased with it so far.
I do play "Cowboy" but that isn't the main reason I bought this rifle. I think it'll be a great plinker but it'll also start my daughter out right as a match to her (my) Single Sixes. I think the biggest reason was, I wanted a centerfire small game rifle.

C.S.

·
Registered
422 Posts
WooHooo!

Picked up my 32 H&R today from the gun shop 15 months from the time of order.

Looks real nice outside although it left the factory filthy on the inside. At least it shows they shot it to make sure it worked.

The wood is really nice. Deep rich color with a really nice grain pattern. The wood fit is tight and really well done on this rifle. Only gripe would be that you can feel a slight "grittyness" in some spots on the finish like they didn't wipe all the dust off before finishing the wood. The forearm is real nice, slim and a perfect size and fit.

The bore cleaned up well with some solvent and I ran a few strokes of JB bore paste on a patch through it. Real shiny and pretty smooth looking. Nice deep looking Ballard rifling. The blueing on the rest of the rifle is flawless.

Mechanically, it is fairly smooth to cycle but the trigger is really excessively heavy. I didn't have a gauge handy but I'd guess 8-10 pounds. There are two "wings" on the top of the carrier that raises rounds from the magazine to the chamber which are more pronounced than in any of my other 1894's. Must be related to the 32 cartridge or the tube feed of the rifle. On the lower edge of the ejector, it is radiused at a sharp angle which is unlike any other 1894 ejector I've seen.

Functionally, the tube feed is a little awkward (needs a loading gate :x ) but some dummy rounds with 85 grain XTP bullets seated to the canelure functioned without a hitch.

I removed the rear sight, installed a Marble's sight blank, and mounted a 2X7 Leupold compact scope on it in a one piece steel Redfield mount so I can work up an accurate load.

I won't get to shoot it until next week but will post results after I do. I've got about 150 rounds loaded up with Hodgdon Titegroup and some Alliant Blue Dot. I'm using Hornady 85 XTPs and National Bullet Company's 90 grain LSWC copper washed bullets.

If I had a camera I'd post a picture.

Thank you Marlin for a sharp looking rifle. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts