Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone buy the Model 1894CL 32 20 lever rifle back in 1989 ? If so you should be able to give a good report by now. How about it ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I picked one of these up used a couple of years ago. The new ones will have micro-groove rifling as opposed to the older one's ballard. I enjoy mine alot, it shoots fine. The 32/20 is kind of neat, but not as easy to load for or as versatile as a .357. I have noticed a large change of point of impact (as much as 10" @50yds) between light plinking loads and max high-velocity loads. The Sierra JHP will not cycle reliably in mine, but the Speers and Hornadys do.

My gun has a very short throat requiring me to trim the R-P brass I use so they will chamber, otherwise the bullet will jam into the rifling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one of the 32-20 CL and it's a fine shooter. The previous owner had problems with Winchester Factory Lead ammo jamming. He traded it back to the store, which sent it to Marlin and it sat on the dealers shelf for several months, with all the local shooters aware of the jamming issue. I bought it, loaded it with Lyman cast and Hornady's. It shoots fine, never jams. Does not handle cast bullets as well as my 94 CB however, which is a tack driver with Magma and Lyman mould bullets and H4227.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When they came out back in the late 80's I was working weekends in a local gunshop and we had them in all three calibers :D Then I could have bought all three combined for $700, and you couldn't have given me one :? Now I have the 218 and the 25-20 , and had to pay over twice what they cost when new :? Both of these do well with jacketed bullets and I've also had really good luck with my cast bullets in them . Bought one of davidson's special run of 1894's in 32-20 last summer and it shoots quite well . Mostly I shoot cast in this one .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts