Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has a very nice condition Marlin 1894 chambered for 45LC, with a 16" barrel he wants to sell. I get the impression he'd really like it if I bought it but arriving at a fair value has been a challenge.

He believes only 200 of the 16" barrel rifles were made. With an 03 serial prefix it should be a '97 gun.

I've searched gunbroker and the like and can't find any sales for this model. There are plenty of the longer 24" barrel rifles out there for around $700-$800.

Any ideas on value?

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Need pictures to really offer-up a good guesstimate - but I'd start by offering him $500.00 for it and see if he bites. If he doesn't, and you really want it, you would probably not get hurt going as high as $800.00 if it is good shape. After that, it's all about how badly you want it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
A 16" .45 Colt sounds, to me, like a non standard Marlin. I believe the S and CCLs were 20". The Davidson special run was 16" but stainless. If it's a cut barrel version of the 20" versions it'll come down to personal preference. Not sure of every variable involving 1894's, but pics would be a benefit.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
A 16" .45 Colt sounds, to me, like a non standard Marlin. I believe the S and CCLs were 20". The Davidson special run was 16" but stainless. Not sure of everything involving 1894s, but pics would be a benefit.
I believe they did make a special run of them around '97 or so. I know they had a run of the SS LTDs, but the one I believe he is referencing sounds about right for that year. My first thought was, "is it ported by chance?"

I too would like to see pictures because, if I am not mistaken, there was a takedown model made by DRC, and maybe Superior, a year or two afterwards, but I am assuming it is not one of those or he would be stealing it at $800.

I could tell more if I could see a picture and get a good look at the sights.

Regardless, I'd still offer $500 and see what he says. I'd be a negotiating fool for that rifle if it is factory blue 16" original.

Here are two examples of 16" factory original rifles in 45 Colt:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Gallo,

I agree with you and thanks for the pixs. I actually have one of the factory 16.25" 1894's.

Supposedly, they did make 1051 of the 16.25" styles in both .44 Mag and .45 Colt. I also had the .44 Mag but sold it off. I've kept the .45 Colt.

Was it a specialty run for Davidson's or such.....I don't know. But mine did come with a letter stating that it was only 1 of 1051 made.

I'll dig up the letter today and post the date, etc...

Oh yea, I'd give $500 for another one in a heart beat. A JM Marlin is hard to find, much less so if its a special limited style like the 16.25".

Actually, $800 would be in the ball park. It should hold 8 rounds in the mag tube.

It IS a GREAT little rifle.

..........Widder

·
Registered
567 Posts
YES, it appears to be JUST LIKE mine.

This is part of the letter that came with mine on Marlin letterhead. BUT, it was enclosed in a Davidson's envelope.

It states that it is only ONE of One Thousand Fifty, Limited carbines produced by Marlin in 1997.

Here is a quote:

"This Limited 1894 Featuring a 16 1/4" barrel, full length magazine tube, 8-round capacity, straight grip walnut stock and fore-end with cut checkering is destined to become a collectors item"..... end of quote.

The Letter was signed by:

Frank Kenna
Chairman of the Board

The envelope was postmarked: May 30, 1997
Hope this helps

..........Widder

·
Registered
567 Posts
T Roy,

I can't say if TALO may have had some variation of the same rifle. I only know that my letter was in a Davidson's envelope.

Its just a handy and beautiful little rifle that I'm surprised only 1050 were produced, apparently in .45 Colt and .44 Mag, of which I owned both until I sold the .44 mag.

..........Widder

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I had one just like it. Had my choice of a 44 mag or 45LC and I choose the 44 mag. Sweet little guns and mine shot the 290 Beartooth around 2 inches at 100 yards. I would say if you get into that gun for 800.00 you would be in the ballpark. I gave 600 or mine but that is before Marlins got high.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Since you don't shoot .45, it's easy to walk away from. (It's a classic - but not a great - caliber.)

Besides, finding one in 44 mag will be easier, cheaper, and better.

Start lookin'!

Brocky

·
Registered
191 Posts
Since you don't shoot .45, it's easy to walk away from. (It's a classic - but not a great - caliber.)

Besides, finding one in 44 mag will be easier, cheaper, and better.

Start lookin'!

Brocky
You are totally wrong about it not being a great caliber. Maybe if all you buy is "cowboy" ammo or standard commercial ammo that is true, but if you buy +P (think Prograde or Buffalobore) it not only matches, but can substantially outperform a .44 Mag.

Look it up. I'm running Prograde .45 Colt ammo pushing a 300 grain XTP at near 1300 fps out of my Blackhawk, and it should go ~1650+fps out of my 1894S Limited. It's a GREAT deer/hog thumper.

Luis

Reactions: Eaglestroker

·
Registered
567 Posts
I agree with Jeeper and Horseshoe.

With todays ammo, reloading components and such, its possible for a 16"-20" .45 Marlin to generate as much power and energy as a .454 Casull in a 7.5" pistol barrel.....based on chronograph test I have done. That doesn't make it 'The Gospel' but it makes me a believer in the .45 Colts abilities.

May favorite powders in these loads are Lilgun, H110 and AA9. I really like the Lilgun performance with everything from 250-300 grain slugs in my 16.5" Marlin.

..........Widder

·
Registered
191 Posts
Exactly. The thing is that commercial .45 Colt ammo is made to be shot in OLD guns as well as the new stuff.

An original issue Colt .45 isn't capable of handling the pressures that a strong Blackhawk or levergun can, so in order to limit liability, they load it WAY short of it's potential. Enter newer ammo makers who are willing to do so, and just state up front that it is ONLY suitable for certain rifles/pistols.

Don't get me wrong. I *LOVE* the .44 mag, and own a few of'em, but the .45 Colt is *capable* of doing anything the .44 mag can, and doing it even better.... *IF* it's loaded right and in a modern firearm that can handle it.

Luis

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll weigh in on the value and what you could be offered up even though I hesitate to do that in open forum. A guy can get skewered for doing that sometimes.

Anyway, for a Marlin-made Marlin in a fairly rare configuration, it adds value. I would also add that this is a friend, which can complicate matters. I'm inclined to offer more to a friend because I don't want to piss them off, because like family, you screw them and they will never let you forget. And the screwing can be by simply offering way too little money for a gun that is worth it. And though I don't own this configuration, I do own the 16" SS/laminate guns, and I value them higher because of the configuration.

I hope that you can come to an agreement as that is a great gun that will not be seen often if ever again. As a friend, try to steer him towards setting his own price and help him attain the knowledge to make that decision. You put the effort forth to help him, he may reward you with a better deal than what he researches a decent price to be. If not, you can always walk away or put it on here to help him sell it. Good luck either way.

SM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.